Crazy "growths" when I weld sometime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy "growths" when I weld sometime

Occasionally i set a number of bumps or growths that sprout out of my welds. Its like a bubble on a tire. It just grows into a ball. You can see them in the photos I attached. Using my Miller 211 with .35 wire, set on 3/16" setting and 75/25 gas. Welding in a shop so wind is not an issue. It doesn't do it every time I weld but today about 25% of my welds did it. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Too hot...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

I don't think it is a heat issue, I think it's something with your 211. Is it the older transformer style or the newer inverter based? I had the older style and it would do it no matter how I prepped the material, tried 3 differemt wire brands, larger wire, smaller wire. I was finally able to get it fixed by replacing it with a Lincoln 256 PowerMig and let me tell you, best thing I ever did!! It always had a mind of it's own and would work great most of the time then act up.

And before I get flamed, I love Miller products, have a Spectrum 2050 plasma cutter, 3 different Miller welding hoods and am waiting for my new Dynasty 400 & Infinity hood to show up!! There was something that was going on with it, could never figure it out either.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
        Too hot...Bob
        Yes, I agree. Too hot!
        A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
        LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
        Lincoln Weldpak 100
        Gianttech Arc 200
        Victor O/A

Comment

I would have to agree that it looks a little hot but being "hot" shouldn't cause the porosity or the bubbling.
          The OP didn't mention his flow rate or stickout..
          Being "in a shop" doesn't mean there isn't a fan nearby either.
          Is the nozzle plugged with spatter? A narrow coned nozzle with a square contact tip impeding flow?
          Poorly prepped (oily) material?

Comment

I've gotten it a few times at the end of a weld, and just assumed it was because I was using a machine with no post-flow and the still-molten puddle was reacting to lack of shielding gas at the very end.

Comment

I would think the growths are a symptom of a larger porosity problem. Make sure material is clean and you're getting adequate shielding gas actually out of the nozzle.

Comment

I’ve done battle with those little turds like everyone else. Had a job a while back for some shock mounts on a drag car, old ford 9” rear end. No matter what I did I was getting those little volcanoes. Ended up switching to a scratch start tig rig and dabbing in some 309 stainless, smoothed it right out. Which leads me to believe it’s a contamination on the base metal issue. Sometimes you just can’t get it clean enough.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. It is an older machine so it probably has the old style transformer. As far as flow rate, etc., I use the auto-set function because I am definitely an amateur. I volunteer welding cart frames at Mobility Worldwide which makes hand-powered carts for the disabled in third-world countries. I do not run a fan in the shop. There is an exhaust fan on the opposite wall but I doubt it disrupts the gas. The thing that's so weird is I'll weld for weeks with no problem and then I'll get a batch of these. I keep the tip clean and have plenty of gas. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Could be contaminated base metal as ryanjones2150 said, or you have an intermittent shielding gas flow issue. A bad gun can cause it, for example, either blocking the gas or letting it leak out when the gun is at certain angles, often at the machine end of the gun. The photos look to me like you have really, really bad porosity issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Bob View Post
                      Thanks for the comments. It is an older machine so it probably has the old style transformer. As far as flow rate, etc., I use the auto-set function because I am definitely an amateur. I volunteer welding cart frames at Mobility Worldwide which makes hand-powered carts for the disabled in third-world countries. I do not run a fan in the shop. There is an exhaust fan on the opposite wall but I doubt it disrupts the gas. The thing that's so weird is I'll weld for weeks with no problem and then I'll get a batch of these. I keep the tip clean and have plenty of gas. Thanks for all the suggestions.
                      Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but Auto-Set doesn't control your gas flow....you set that at the regulator on the tank. What sort of gas flow rate are you using? Something in the 20-30CFH is probably where you want to be.

Early on I had oddball porosity show up a few times only to find I must have bumped the knob on regulator and changed the gas flow. Now I check it every time I turn on the machine for the first time that day.

Comment

Sorry I misunderstood the question. The gas is set on 30 psi. It is the gauge set that came with the welder so I don't know of any other setting on it. Thanks

Comment

Maybe your wire sucks. Some of us have reported inconsistencies with certain brands of wire. Even inconsistencies in the wire quality on the same roll. End up spooling a bunch off and it’s back to welding fine. What wire are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Bob View Post
                            The fact that you can weld for weeks and then this starts to happen may be due to the wire you are using. I always by Hobart wire, but ran out and I had to run an errand that took me by the local Airgas store. Decided I'd just get a roll of wire there instead of driving further. Only thing they had was their Radnor house brand, made in China. Took it home, fed it to the old MM200, and welded away--for several days. Then, all sorts of porosity, bubbles, junk--I thought something happened to my machine--checking hose connections, flow at the nozzle with a portable flowmeter, etc. Ground out the welds, and it sometimes worked OK on the next weld, sometimes not. Happened again a few days later. Ran out a bunch of wire, threw it way, and it welded fine again. That continued intermittently for a couple of days -- throw away several feet of wire, and all was well. MOST of the wire on the roll was good, but some of it was obviously contaminated, at random intervals. Got tired of that very quickly and threw the Radnor wire in the scrap bin. Never had a problem like that with Hobart wire, and it hasn't happened since.

Just saw Ryan mentioned this while I was typing.

Comment

I've never had bubbles that bad with any wire, as long as I remembered to turn the gas on...

Comment

Working...
                              X