Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8wire
    replied
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'll trouble shoot this week. Was about every 4 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That’s awesome! She’s a skookum old beast, that’s for sure. I don’t recall any reason for a ticking sound. If it’s rather fast in tempo, I’d suspect something hitting the fan blade or maybe one of the bearings or bushing for the fan blade shaft. I can’t think of any reason for anything to click or tick or whatever in there. About the only things that move, without you moving it at least, are the fan and the relays. If a relay is pulling in and out repeatedly, thanks probably something to look into.

Leave a comment:

• 8wire
    replied
    Thanks mate. With two boxes of sticks to burn to figure the process out too. Should be fun. It did make a ticking sound. Not sure if that's normal or not but either way a great afternoon. Now I just need to get the other 3 phase beast running so I can dim the lights in the neighbourhood.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    That is fantastic! And, frankly, not unexpected--as several here have said, these things are incredibly reliable. And, stick welding doesn't require some of the relays and switches needed for TIG, so you're starting off with the "minimalist" approach.

Leave a comment:

• 8wire
    replied
    Well its been a while but I'm renovating the house I live in and my wife thinks running toilets and actual walls are more important than welders...

However I finally got the girl plugged in and running. Opened Her up blew out the cobwebs, wired on a new plug and it she worked perfectly first time. Of course ive never stick welded before and the sticks im using are probably 20 years old but I'm happy regardless. Her last owner passed away in 2004 so I'm pretty impressed at how well it works.

Here are some pics with the sides and top off.

Appreciate all the advise I got in here. Ill be working on the Wilson Hornet from the '40s shortly and ill post about that too.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• myfast70
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Probably won’t be any dirt in there. That box seals up pretty good, but it’ll at least be fun to pop the lid and take a peek.
    And to snap pics for us to see too, lol

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Probably won’t be any dirt in there. That box seals up pretty good, but it’ll at least be fun to pop the lid and take a peek.

Leave a comment:

• 8wire
    replied
    Jrd, yeah right after that photo I blew a tonne of dirt out ill try give it a real good clean before I put it back. Ryan, so I need to remove the black cover and blow out under there too? I guess I should at least check the relays while I'm here.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Under that long block box is where all your relays live. They’re the old open face style.

Leave a comment:

• jrd-airco300
    replied
    Thar's pre-cleaning?!? Wow, that looks great.

I'm still learning about my 300A version. Great old machines. I'm looking forward to hearing how it welds for you.

Leave a comment:

• 8wire
    replied
    Finally got around to opening her up for a cleaning. Pictures for anyone interested in what the internals look like. Took everyone's advice. Checked the electrical and ill turn her on later in the week once its clean. Im a bit slow but my wife seems to.think rebuilding our bathroom is more important.

Leave a comment:

• 8wire
    replied
    Sorry, I meant the wilson not the miller that time.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That machine will run on single or three phase. You just have to assemble the jumper clips correctly.

Not sure what you’d ground to the pipe, unless you’re planning to weld to it.

Leave a comment:

• 8wire
    replied
    Ryan, the foot pedal is missing, thats something I'm going to have to research and find. Im assuming thats for tig and I can still use the machine without it.
    Aeronca you are right. Honestly I'm just as excited about seeing if this 3 phase beast runs.

While we are here. Has anyone ever seen someone use a steel pipe embedded in the garage cement floor as a ground? I've been confused by it since I got the place and today looking at the grounding clamp on the welder I thought maybe thats what it was. Easy to clamp on to in the middle of the garage.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    8wire, you definitely hit on it when you bought that place--and all the goodies in the sheds! Anxious to hear how that beast welds.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X