No announcement yet.

1968 320A/BP worth restoring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah that plug will not be used for 3 phase. Thats the 220 plug. I agree though. Ill probably get an electrician in at some point to make sure I'm good to go.

Comment

Despite being the longest member here, my post was flagged for spam because I used the Edit button too much to fix typos and stuff. Here it is again:

The voltage rating on the receptacle or plug is just a maximum that it's rated for. The configuration of a "250V" device is correct for very common 208V or 240V actual applications.

Flexible metallic conduit is an acceptable ground conductor up to 6' in length. Rigid conduit or tubing is an acceptable ground conductor at any length. So such installations might not have a visible grounding wire, but still be grounded.

The first receptacle in your picture is a NEMA 10-50R and is actually not designed to be used with a separate grounding conductor. It's made for electric ranges back when they were designed with their neutral wire bonded to the chassis and it served as both neutral and ground. Yes, you can use it as a "240V w/ ground" device and the electricity doesn't know the difference, but it's the configuration of "120/240V w/o ground." It should not be hooked up as a 3-phase installation because the center pin is universally known (and marked) as a neutral conductor, not a phase conductor.

A good electrician is usually worth his service call fee.

Comment

Yep--you need an electrician to look over all of this stuff before you go much further.

Comment

Fair comment. I think i can safely put the plug on the miller and check to see if it works. The three phase can wait until the electrician looks at it. Appreciate the advice as always. I put up some pictures of the insides as I clean it out incase anyone is interested.

Comment

That three prong plug was what I had on my first welding machine, which was just a 240v stick welder. I used it for years and years like that.

I think it’s pretty awesome you have 3ph in your garage. I’m jealous. The power company wants $15k to bring me 3ph.

Comment

Well I wired the old plug and turned it on. She came on immediately and sounded pretty strong. Im pretty stunned. Ill get a better plug to install and clean her out this weekend, see if she welds. Appreciate everyone's help!! Don't worry I won't touch the three phase outlets for now.

Ryan, I was stunned when we found this place. 3 phase wasn't in the advertising and the realtor didn't even know what it was. Thats a win for us for sure.

Comment

You should check if the outlet has 208 or 230 before seeing how it welds.

Comment

Will do. Thank you.

Comment

You lucky....uh....dog....

Hopefully the foot pedal acts right. I actually kind of hate the foot pedal. It’s so big and bulky and expensive. I’ve rebuilt mine and it’s still wonky. If I can even find a good deal for a new one, or a good used one, I’m going to jump on it.

Comment

8wire, you definitely hit on it when you bought that place--and all the goodies in the sheds! Anxious to hear how that beast welds.

Comment

Ryan, the foot pedal is missing, thats something I'm going to have to research and find. Im assuming thats for tig and I can still use the machine without it.
                        Aeronca you are right. Honestly I'm just as excited about seeing if this 3 phase beast runs.

While we are here. Has anyone ever seen someone use a steel pipe embedded in the garage cement floor as a ground? I've been confused by it since I got the place and today looking at the grounding clamp on the welder I thought maybe thats what it was. Easy to clamp on to in the middle of the garage.

Comment

That machine will run on single or three phase. You just have to assemble the jumper clips correctly.

Not sure what you’d ground to the pipe, unless you’re planning to weld to it.

Comment

Sorry, I meant the wilson not the miller that time.

Comment

Working...
                            X