Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I do pulsed GMAW on 1/4" carbon steel with 75/25 gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do pulsed GMAW on 1/4" carbon steel with 75/25 gas?

I'm new to pulsed but not to GMAW. Had to sell my entire welding rig when we escaped yurrup, wrong volts/hertz. Just bought a Multimatic 255 and a bottle of 75/25. Now I'm reading that I need more argon in the mix to do pulsed. I ordered a bottle of 90/10 but it won't be here for a week.

Meanwhile, I need to weld up airbag perches on a truck frame. It's all heavy steel. Would 75/25 be OK for that? Should I not pulse that job? I was planning to let the Multimatic automatically configure volts, pulse, IPM. Never had such a nice welder before, it's a treat.

I watched a few of Miller's videos on advantages of pulse so figured I'd pulse most everything from now on. Maybe that's wrong....

Thanks guys

I would skip the pulse and weld them up. 75/25 is fine. Your machine is plenty for 1/4" plate if used properly by someone that knows what they are doing.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

You may not be able to get it quite into spray transfer, but you can get close enough to really sink it in if you need to. But I agree with MMW, shouldn’t be any reason you can’t weld on a truck frame without pulse.

Comment

I prepped last night and decided to do additional triangulation instead of just beef up existing mounts. Plenty of room for trad GMAW beads now.
        Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I doubt I would have even thought of trying it with pulse. But I'm not in a production environment, either.

Comment

Yep, more Argon. You’ll love this machine once it arrives. You won’t be pulsing or spraying with C25. That does NOT mean you can’t do what you need to do with short circuit while you wait. I have this machine as well and it’s a blast. It feels weird at first spraying with it because the arc can be very quiet. Made me think the **** thing was broke.
            =======================
            Miller 211 AutoSet
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
            Francisco Goya

Comment

If I had my druthers, I'd never use short arc again. Get a bottle of 90/10 and pulse everything. For me the real draw of pulse is almost no spatter. If you get spatter when pulse migging, you either need to adjust the arc length or your tip is too close to the work. Pulse requires nearly twice the tip to work distance of short arc.

Comment

Don't you get close to the limits of that machine with the peak amps for pulsing on 1/4" steel? The OP has probably already finished the job, but it seems like short arc or gas shielded flux core would make sense for that job. I have only spent time pulsing thinner aluminum and steel with my Powerwave 355 because that's where I thought it was better than other processes. Am I off?

Comment

I'm not suggesting you can't use short-arc. I just prefer not getting spatter all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbmraRtfwWM

5:32 - You can see him doing some nice clean pulse on thick metal. In my opinion, pulse mig (GMAW) doesn't work as well on thin metal as it does on thick. Because the welder seems to set the pulse frequency based on wire speed and the higher wire speed use with thicker metal results in a higher frequency, smoother pulse.
                  Last edited by MasterKwan; 06-29-2020, 09:34 AM.

Comment

255 MM is rated:

Aluminum 18 ga. (1.02 mm) - 1/2 (13mm)
                    Mild Steel 24 ga. (.51 mm) - 1/2 (13mm)
                    =======================
                    Miller 211 AutoSet
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
                    Francisco Goya

Comment

Working...