Just bought a Dynasty 400, couple easy questions to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a Dynasty 400, couple easy questions to start

Well, I finally decided it was time for an upgrade of my current welder. I had an Esab 2200i w/ TA-34 panel for about 4 years and it has served me well throughout those years. Lately I've been doing more welding projects and finally felt like I could justify an upgrade. My top choice was a Dynasty now the hard part was figuring out which one I wanted and could reasonably afford. After much debate back & forth over the 280 vs the 400 I decided that the 400 would be the better long term choice for my needs and what I do. Once thing I really wanted was the ability to adjust EP & EN and to do so on the 280 it would have been a $500 sd card upgrade so I thought I would put that $500 towards getting the 400.

So my questions are simple at this point as I have yet to receive the welder. First, Miller does not make an actual cover for the Dynasty 400, is there a cover from another model in their line up that would properly fit and work with my 400? I don't mind it being a touch oversized but obviously it can't be too small. Second, are there any items that I "must have" with this welder? I'm not talking about torch consumables as I am rather stocked up on that, filler metals, welding gas, second argon bottle for back purging, second regulator for said back purging. I just wasn't sure if there was a "gotta have" accessory that either makes using the welder easier or improves the quality of the welding it does.

Once the welder shows up I'm sure I will have a few questions here & there but fortunately I'm not a total newb and have been welding for a bit.

I bought the dynasty tig runner package which included the wireless pedal, not a must have but it sure is nice.

Congrats on the 400, very nice machine. I have the 210dx which doesn't have the independent AC amp adjust, but then I don't do much aluminum...yet. I weld at home, at work I am using an older 700 and really like playing with the AC features.
    Last edited by Ltbadd; 06-20-2020, 04:50 PM.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Comment

I bought the tig runner package as well and figured if I'm going to go that deep I may as well get the wireless pedal too. I'm excited for it to arrive and try it out for the first time!! When I first started looking at the Dynasty I was looking at the 210DX and then it just snowballed from there...

Comment

Hey, it's only money and you only live once! Congratulations!

Comment

280 DX owner and remote pedal...............and from an old school welder that has Tig'd on many old noisy and heavy machines......this new one is amazing and have not even come close to using all its capabilities .........but no matter I'm light years ahead of where I was with the old transformer machines and dragging that heavy ole foot pedal and cable around the shop and squeezing it between my knees while under a car........and don't get me wrong on the old transformer machines as I've had many , but arc control is unbelievable on the DX as compared to the old stuff.........

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
            280 DX owner and remote pedal...............
            Nice, if business does well I may upgrade to the 280dx, I don't have the power at home for a 400, and while I'm at it I want the AC independent upgrade.

You know, the Dynasty being a top of the line unit, all the models should have that feature out of the box...someone let Miller know!
            Richard
            West coast of Florida

Comment

Ok, next question what be what color tungsten do you recommend using for stainless and what color for aluminum with the Dynasty? On my Esab I used Grey (2% Ceriated) for both steel(s) and aluminum. With my old Lincoln Precision Tig 185 I used Green (pure) for aluminum and Red (2% Thoriated) for steel(s). I'm not sure if there is a one type fits all or if I should use different type for different metals.

Comment

I've seen several people say the blue 2% lanthanated works best on the square wave inverter welders, for all materials and polarities. I've been using it with no problems, but I don't have enough experience to compare it to anything else.

Comment

Congratulations. I replace a syncrowave 350 lx with my dynasty 400. Enjoy. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190129_150307.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	609174
                  Dynasty 400 wireless
                  Coolmate 3.5
                  Sw320 speedway
                  Ck flex lock 230
                  4 victor flow meters
                  2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
                  2 genuine miller torch buttons
                  A$$ loads of tungsten
                  XMT 350 CC/CV
                  S74DX feeder
                  Stick leads from here to China
                  A30 Spool gun
                  WC24
                  Langmuir crossfire hobby table
                  Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
                  Harris O/A
                  Pet raccoon
                  I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

Comment

Here is a chart Miller puts out and includes with a Dynasty purchase. Most agree that if you buy lanthanated get the 2%

Click image for larger version

Name:	tungsten chart.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	609179
                    Richard
                    West coast of Florida

Comment

You won’t notice any difference in tungsten on DC, it’ll be AC where it’s an issue. If you select 2% lanthanated (blue band) as already suggested, then you’ll only need to keep one type of tungsten in your box.

Comment

The 400 is the same size as the 350.

Machine alone:
                        24.75" high
                        13.75" wide
                        22" deep

The 350 manual lists all the dimensions for the machine as well as the tigrunner package.

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...6869AN_MIL.pdf
                        Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                          280 DX owner and remote pedal...............and from an old school welder that has Tig'd on many old noisy and heavy machines......this new one is amazing and have not even come close to using all its capabilities .........but no matter I'm light years ahead of where I was with the old transformer machines and dragging that heavy ole foot pedal and cable around the shop and squeezing it between my knees while under a car........and don't get me wrong on the old transformer machines as I've had many , but arc control is unbelievable on the DX as compared to the old stuff.........
                          Very nice! I started with a Lincoln Precision Tig 185 and have missed it dearly since I sold it to buy the Esab. I'm looking forward to getting back to a more reliable and consistent power source as the Esab was very finicky and temperamental. The Dynasty is well beyond my current abilities but I'm pushing hard to learn and better my skills daily and think the Dynasty will help.

Looking forward to wireless foot control too

Comment

Originally posted by Ltbadd View Post
                            Nice, if business does well I may upgrade to the 280dx, I don't have the power at home for a 400, and while I'm at it I want the AC independent upgrade.

You know, the Dynasty being a top of the line unit, all the models should have that feature out of the box...someone let Miller know!
                            I certainly agree that if you purchase the DX model you should get all of the adjustment features because once you made the DX leap the upgrades are software only which means it's a cash grab for the "upgrade". However this being said, I can't complain too much as the 400 comes with those features built in already.

Unless you are using all 400amps of power it "shouldn't" be an issue at home until you start maxing the machine out. At least that's the way it has been explained to me

Comment

Has anyone used the "Tig Button" with their Dynasty? My Esab had an on/off button on the torch and now that I don't have it I'm actually missing it...

http://www.6061.com/tigbutton.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X