Does Tungsten brand matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Tungsten brand matter

Has anyone noticed a difference between different brands of tungsten? I was looking to get some more and my usual guy is closed currently. Didn’t know if there was a brand I should use over another. Currently use CK. Thanks.

I'm far from an expert, but I've had excellent luck with the Midwest Tungsten Service 2% Lanthanated tungstens I bought off eBay...have them in several sizes and have had zero issues. I've used other names like CK and didn't notice any difference.

https://www.ebay.com/str/midwesttungstenservice

Comment

I’ve always bought from this guy cause he’s local, but looking online I’ve come across a few different ones. I was looking at the blue demon cause I’ve had pretty decent luck with their other products. Also saw weld**** had some, but it looked like the CK case with a sticker slapped on.

Comment

I haven't noticed any diff, I use 2% lanthanated. At fabtech a few back I picked up a sample of Diamond Ground Products $$$ German wolfram tungsten along with a 20% off coupon. I haven't bought any cause I can't really tell any difference, not for 2-3x the price of others.

Was thinking of trying the CK layzr next.
        Richard
        West coast of Florida

Comment

I’ve ran the layzr and I really like how it performs on AC. Seems to be more stabile.

Comment

absolutely there are differences. but there are a lot that are the same with different labels.
            CK is middle of the road. Diamond is better. LWS stock (best welds or radnor) aren't consistent.
            Tungsten like any other material has to be made under strict control to produce consistent product. China isn't so good at consistent quality. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
              absolutely there are differences. but there are a lot that are the same with different labels.
              CK is middle of the road. Diamond is better. LWS stock (best welds or radnor) aren't consistent.
              Tungsten like any other material has to be made under strict control to produce consistent product. China isn't so good at consistent quality. good luck
              Do you use Diamond and if so what line do you buy, standard or one of their premium lines? I see in 2% lanthanated they now have 2 premiums, one made in Austria and one in Germany

What difference do you experience while welding with the DGP electrodes?
              Richard
              West coast of Florida

Comment

Never needed anything more than their standard. honestly, didn't even know about the premium stuff, never had issues with the regular.
                The point retention and consistent arc strikes ar edge biggest characteristics I notice. Over heating any tungsten and moving the torch too quickly before allowing the tungsten to cool will ALWAYS cause issues with contamination and decreased performance.
                The cheaper brands won't conduct as uniformly and won't retain a point as long, especially under higher amperages for long periods of time.
                Tungsten is finicky and you'll learn what type, size and shape works best for your machine, material type, thickness and joint geometry. As well as your preferred stick out and arc length.

Comment

Arc Zone has been the primary supplier at my most recent gig. All 1/16" 2% Thoriated. For low amperage (25-35 amps) and up to 150 amps for a only a few days it works well. Again, moving too quickly after extinguishing arc while the tugnsten is still too hot really decreases the quality and re-strike characteristics. DGP has been mentioned many times here before. The tungsten guidebook is a valuable read.
                  Sorry about the delay Lt,
                  posted and left for the day. I'm PST here in commiefornia.
                  Nothing wrong with CK too. I've had good experiences with their tungsten as well.
                  The issue with my opinions are that they apply to mostly niche applications.

Comment

I’ve never seen a difference between tungsten brands or types for that matter on DC, it’s on AC where the trouble happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X