35 year old bobcat welder no longer welds or generates power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 year old bobcat welder no longer welds or generates power

I have an approximately 35 year old bobcat 225 welder that no longer generates power or will not provide enough power to spark a weld. I can drag a welding rod on a piece of metal and it barely sparks. It worked fine one week and then the next time I tried it, it didn’t. I’ve read some previous posts and just changed out both fuses, the rectifier, diode and capacitor. Still nothing. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA
    Last edited by GWBMJB; 06-14-2020, 05:26 PM. Reason: The serial number is KC220664

Serial number?

Comment

Check the slip rings and brushes. Don't change parts without making sure they're bad first - it rarely fixes things!

Comment

Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
        Check the slip rings and brushes. Don't change parts without making sure they're bad first - it rarely fixes things!
        And clean the wiper blades on the reostat and the Selector switches and these guys need the serial number.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
          Serial number?
          Serial number KC220664

Comment

Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
            Do you have to replace the slip rings or is there a way to re-polish them?

Comment

Originally posted by GWBMJB View Post

Do you have to replace the slip rings or is there a way to re-polish them?
              Unless they are just pitted/fried beyond recognition, just polish them up. Some people don't worry about this, but if you don't have a stone made for the purpose, use sandpaper, not emery cloth. Emery dust is conductive and you don't want it inside your welder. And check the connections to the brushes, and be sure the brushes can move freely in their holders.

Check the fine current control closely for cracks or bad connections.

Here's the manual if you don't have one.

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O431F_MIL.pdf

Besides checking out the items already mentioned by others , check connections on R2, the big tapped resistor (Item 4 on page 43 of the manual). Loosen and retighten the connections.

Comment

I've been known to use a strip of scotchbrite pad taped to the wooden handle of a wire brush if they just need polishing.

Comment

Working...
                X