Miller dynasty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller dynasty

Is this a 2004 model ? I’m looking at it used.

What does the front look like? You need to find a picture of the serial number.

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/serial-number-chart

Comment

Looks like by the chart it’s a 2011. Been in a garage got 3 hrs on it. Wants 3500 with a argon bottle and cart. Danasty 200Dx

Comment

Here's my two cents' worth: First, that serial number indicates it does have the Blue Lightning HF upgrade (LJ280222L and up), which is a nice feature.

Whether to buy or not, in my mind, depends upon your financial picture and risk tolerance. 3.5K is, I would guess, about the going rate. But, that's a lot of money to place into a machine with no warranty, and there is the risk that any failure could instantly cost you something well north of another thousand bucks plus. Many, probably most, of these work for many years (mine is still chuggin' along just fine), but when they blow, it is not pretty from a repair viewpoint. I have to say I sometimes feel a certain amount of stress when I turn mine on, hoping this isn't the time.....but what a sweet, marvelous machine! The capability in that little box is astounding! It will probably cost you 5-6 K for a new Dynasty 210dx with enough accessories to weld , so it isn't a "spend another thousand and eliminate the risk" kind of deal. Eliminating the risk costs some bucks! Only you know if you have the stomach and resources to take on the risk. But, I have to say, I sure love that machine!

If you do buy it, unplug it when you're not using it. I worry about lightning strikes, perhaps miles away, coming back through the power line (including neutral and ground conductors) and wounding sensitive electronics, even with the switch off. Also, if you do buy it, and it ever sits for weeks or months between uses for whatever reason, Cruizer recommends powering it on and letting it idle for a half hour or so before beginning to weld.

Comment

I really appreciate your take on it I feel the same way you do. I don’t have the money to throw at it I usually try to buy low enough used I can just stop throwing money in it if something goes wrong. Even if I bid 2500 I wouldn’t like it. Thanks

Comment

Probably the same decision I would make. If we had the foresight to know if it would fail, it would be a very different ball game.

Comment

It's sad to think that even what is considered a high end machine carries such concern. I bought a 210DX package in 8/2016, around January of 2018 it failed, under warranty so it was repaired, well a new board was put in. I use mine at home so there was just under 50 hours on it at that time.
              Richard
              West coast of Florida

Comment

True words! Somehow, when you pay thousands and thousands of bucks for a machine, you would like to feel you have something that will last. But you can't. Just feels so wrong. Other than having paid around $350 for a Hobart Stickmate inverter when they first came out (cheap enough to deal with a failure), I doubt I will ever buy another inverter machine; too old, limited income, can't afford the risk.

Comment

I think miller's obscene parts prices for anything to do with inverter units are going to do them a lot of harm in the long run.... Just about any part in a dynasty costs more than a new green welder, and a lot of people are going to make that choice, and tell their friends about their choice, and their friends are going to buy a green welder, etc. Selling parts at cost would go a long way towards maintaining their reputation.

Everlast has a full 5 year warranty, while Miller still only does 3 years. I've seen multiple reports of Miller denying warranty coverage for units a day past those three years, too. With Miller's prices, you'd expect a superior product that they'd have confidence in warrantying for a longer period, not a shorter one, and enough wiggle room to do customers a favor after it ends, not tell them to take a hike.

As soon as there's a green welder-generator, Miller is going to be really hurting...

Comment

As irritating as it from where all of us little guys sit, the insight that none of us have is what is the value function for Miller? Are the hobbyists, those who weld on the side while working another job, and even the 1-person shop, a significant enough portion of their profit picture to be worth dealing with (or providing low-cost parts to)? Have to analyze not only sales, but profit. If you have to sell 20 "little" welders to make the same margin you can on 5 or 10 big ones, is it worth your while to be in that market? And remember the big companies can just write broken equipment off.

That whole thing is a very unpleasant calculation, but if if you are a publicly traded company (like ITW), and you are driven too far to the low-margin side, whether by genuine concern for your customer or just not paying attention, someone is going to do a hostile takeover to "improve your performance" for the benefit of the shareholders. ITW is a publicly traded company, and there are vultures galore out there. In fact, they were the vultures for many of the companies they own now.

Certainly, if you virtually run yourself out of business because the competition is providing more value (can you spell GE?), that isn't good either, but the path to the bottom is broad and well-traveled. I had to applaud FEDEX recently when they told Amazon to lump it--Amazon was tying up a VAST percentage of their people, infrastructure, etc., and paying them in pennies. They finally said, hey, we're not working for virtually free--pay up or leave. Amazon left, and I think the FEDEX bottom line is improving.

From another angle, how did those Chinese guys find their way to today's decent quality at ridiculously low prices? By selling lousy quality at even lower prices to people who shopped only by price for years. That's how you build a Chinese capability.....keep messing up until you get it right, and if you stay cheap enough, there will always be someone to buy the junk until you can get to a reasonable quality level. The Chinese are a very bright people!

I can remember the first Hyundai someone brought for me to fix--one of the first into the country. Horrible! I could not believe someone would sell junk like that. Looked like it was designed by kindergarten kids during recess. But look at them today--same principle.

Sad truth.
                    Last edited by Aeronca41; 06-13-2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

You guys are scaring me into never buying a dynasty. I’m good with my old faithfuls for now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                        You guys are scaring me into never buying a dynasty. I’m good with my old faithfuls for now anyway.
                        I’m just a hobbyist that doesn’t have money to throw at them. I play around with old generators so try to buy them low enough where if somethings wrong and cost to much to fix I can part it out.
                        Now this dynasty I’m looking at is 9 yrs old no warrenty and maybe the boards are getting brittle inside I don’t know.
                        I’ve got a bobcat 225 that I could sell to buy a inverter where I could tig or stick is what I’m thinking.
                        Last edited by Kpack; 06-14-2020, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                          Buy new, use it like crazy, and anything beyond 3 years is gravy. Just have to be prepared for the disappointment. But, I gotta say, you will sure enjoy it while it works! Theoretically, if they survive the warranty period, they should be pretty good for some time--infant mortality generally represents the highest failure rate. But the world is full of good theories......

Comment

If I didn't know better, Aeronca41, I would have thought your post #14 was referring to a Ferrari !!

Comment

Working...
                            X