Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multimatic 255 & Gas(es) for spray/pulse MIG

Good Morning,

I recently purchased a Multimatic 255... so recently, that I don't even have gas for it yet. That leads me to my question.

I watched a lot of videos on the Multimatic 255 before I purchased it. I also read a lot of user posts on various forums. I keep seeing/reading about using 90/10 gas for spray/pulse MIG welding with this machine, but I also see wire that specifies 98/2 for spray transfer. So the question is, if 90/10 is "built in" to the machine, can it be changed... or is the 90/10 just for Auto-Set? Since I don't have any gas yet, I haven't been able to play with it. The answer to this post will likely impact the gas(es) that I buy. :-)

Thank you for the assistance.

I have the Millermatic 255 but would assume the gas options are the same and the list you see in the manual mode gas option are the only gas options available. The Pulse menu offers a subset of those.

I’ve never seen a ‘Spray’ option. Spray is a function of voltage/gas/wfs. I know of three gas options that can support spray; 80/20, 90/10, and 100% argon. There are some weird gas options I think but I’ll never need them.

If you want to spray with that machine, spray is just a result of pulsing. Use the Pulse menu and any of those gas options in the list and you’ll be spraying.

I’m using C10 (90/10) and it’s awesome! Auto-set seems to always run hotter than necessary but auto-set does allow for some setting variation so I usually use auto and then dial it back as far as auto-set allows.
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

Comment

Forgot; since you have TIG on your machine your best option might be to just run one bottle of 100% Argon. The only thing you won’t be able to do off that one bottle is globular; you’ll need 100% CO2 for that.
      =======================
      Miller 211 AutoSet
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Thanks stickermigtigger! I saw all of the other gases listed in the manual, but when I watched Miller and user videos, it seemed they always mentioned 90/10. Then, when I was shopping for some wire, the wire spec sheet specifically mentioned 98/2 for spray transfer. The manual mentions 98/2, but does NOT have it listed for spray transfer. And therein lies my confusion.

Correction: manual lists 98% Argon and 2% O2... not CO2.
        Last edited by sarge338; 06-02-2020, 04:57 AM.

Comment

90/10 is what I use for Pulse/Spray on my 255. My 211 won’t spray no matter what gas I use because it can’t output the minimum voltage required for spray. I’ve never seen a wire spec like that, but then again the volume of things I’ve never seen (or know) is quite high.
          =======================
          Miller 211 AutoSet
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Working...
          X