Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

330A/BP When welding with tig the machine shuts of arc in about 3 to 5 seconds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 330A/BP When welding with tig the machine shuts of arc in about 3 to 5 seconds.

330A/BP se#: T-461497 Built 1968
    When welding with stick all good. When welding with tig the machine shuts of arc in about 3 to 5 seconds. Will not restart until power off machine and power it back on arc 3 to 5 seconds.
    I can not seem to figure it out the only wiring diagram I have is the one on a 1973 machine. Does anyone have any idea to help me diagnose this problem.

Having never worked on one of those beasts, I'd probably start by doing some brief testing to try to see what part of the machine is shutting off, and why it only does it on tig. Does the contactor open? Does the problem only happen with the contactor or current control in remote? Is the big transformer still humming, or is power to it dead? Any sign of life on some gauges and not others? Are you using a different polarity? Is the actual weld current shutting off, or are you first losing HF and then breaking the arc during a zero-crossing on AC? Try to narrow down the circumstances to an exact difference between the two processes and exactly in what way it's shutting off.

Comment

The oldest manual I can find online is from 1973. I called Miller Tech Pubs and they are emailing a manual to me. Had to kind of press it to get to the right person after others there said all they had was on line, but finally got the Pubs guy instead of just the tech guys, and he says he's sure he as it. Once again, I am impressed with Miller support. Will take a look when it arrives.

Comment

I will be looking into this further to answer some of your questions Bushytails.
        It would be nice to have the manual for this exact machine Aeronca41.
        I thought the 1973 machine would be very close that was the best I could do no Miller website.
        Thanks for replies I will be following up.

Comment

What are your Tig settings? Have you tried other Tig settings?

Comment

Aeronca41 thanks for the Manual this one is clearer to read. I will have a chance to further check it out the evening.

Comment

Great! Glad the download worked. That's the first time I've tried using OneDrive, and I wasn't sure how it would work. I, too, was impressed with the quality of the manual--often the really old ones are barely readable, but this one looked like new.

Bushytails and jjohn had some excellent questions. I'd agree that you should work through those first.

Will it come back on line immediately after power cycling, or have you waited a while? I'm wondering if there is a thermal issue somewhere that is cooling enough during the power cycle time? But, if it comes right back, that doesn't seem likely. See what else you can learn, and then we will dig into the schematic and see if we can figure it out. These machines were the peak of perfection and power for their era of technology, and there isn't a lot than can go wrong with them that can't be fixed, barring a burnt up magamp or transformer, which is very unlikely unless they have been attacked by lightning or powered up after being flooded. Virtually indestructible!

Comment

The download worked, but was by far the slowest site I've ever used, taking well over a minute to load and run all the javascript needed to even begin to display the page... it seems to have an exceptional amount of bloat just to do something simple.

Comment

I have no idea what any of that means, bushytails.

Comment

He means, “Oh, wait, it’s Microsoft!” :-)

Comment

Pretty much. Not many other companies could manage to make something as simple as downloading a pdf file that ****ing slow.

Comment

I am very sorry for bothering you guys, after looking at everything I found the spot weld switch in auto position. Do not know how but it got flipped, I had never used that function. Welds for 3 seconds is what it is supposed to do.
                        When this happened last week, I was in a hurry and when I came back to check it, I did not take time to look at all possibilities of controls. Thanks so much for your time and I am glad to get the correct Owner’s Manual (3 seconds to download) now I can learn even more about the machine.

Comment

Well, you obviously have one of those welders that lacks a DWIM switch. That's the one that makes it Do What I Mean instead of doing what you told it to do! If that's the worst mistake you make this year, everything's gonna be just fine.

Back in the 1960s when I was an in-home TV repair guy, working my way through college, there was more than one occasion that the problem was solved by putting the plug back into the outlet.

Or the guy who showed up at my buddy's garage/inspection station to have the car inspected that he just bought in New Jersey and drove to upstate NY--"and please check the steering--it seems a little loose". That would have been because one outer tie rod end was only held together by a huge wad of twine wrapped around it over and over and tied in a knot. When he took the twine off, the tie rod end fell apart on its own.

Don't feel bad--nothing dangerous, nothing that wasn't easily recoverable!
                          Last edited by Aeronca41; 05-20-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks to All

Comment

Working...
                            X