No announcement yet.

Regency 250 fan quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miller tech guys are awesome! They were more than happy to give me the specs on that thermostat, the guy couldn’t even believe the price they have it listed for, $220!

Normally open, closes at 125F and reopens at 105F. And I have no idea how to look something like that up. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Comment

Ryan, while you have it apart, it's worth checking if there is a short between the transformer side of TP2 and TP1 and the connector on CB1. The resistance should not be close to zero, but will likely be a single or low double digit number. Because CB1 didn't trip until the machine warmed up (TP1 closes when the transformer is warm, TP2 closes when the rectifier is warm, and either of those will turn on the fan), either CB1 is too weak to take the fan motor's startup current, and/or there is a short somewhere other than the motor. You have ruled out the short in the motor because it is measuring 6 ohms.

You could get a 250V 10A NO thermostat with a 125F set value. I can't confirm its reopening temperature, but I would guess any one you find will be close to that value. It's a mechanical device and has to overcome some friction/set to switch back and forth between open and closed.

Comment

I found what I think to be the wires from the thermostat on the transformer. Looks like they both go to TP2. I haven’t had a chance to try a decipher it on the schematic, but a cursory check of those two wires out of it do not show continuity.

I’ve been pretty busy and haven’t had the time to really invest in this, so I really appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          Miller tech guys are awesome! They were more than happy to give me the specs on that thermostat, the guy couldn’t even believe the price they have it listed for, $220!

Normally open, closes at 125F and reopens at 105F. And I have no idea how to look something like that up. Anyone point me in the right direction?
          I'll see if I can find you one in the morning.

Comment

OK--it's after midnight, so I guess it's morning.....

http://senasys.com/product/12-thermo...-430-301a285-f
            Senasys bought out the guys that made the original switch. Link above. 13 bucks from their web site. Exactly the same temp ratings. Probably the same switch with a new part number for the new company. At least the 430 prefix is the same.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...R3pGFYcA%3D%3D

Mouser has this one--its a couple of bucks cheaper. Temps are 127 and 112 Should also work. About 8 bucks.

Comment

Thanks, Wayne!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                I found what I think to be the wires from the thermostat on the transformer. Looks like they both go to TP2. I haven’t had a chance to try a decipher it on the schematic, but a cursory check of those two wires out of it do not show continuity.

I’ve been pretty busy and haven’t had the time to really invest in this, so I really appreciate the help.
                Ryan, that seems right. It's a NO relay like TP2 and won't close until the transformer is hot enough. Spending more time looking at the schematic, all 30 leads are connected to the chassis. Any fault in those TPs wouldn't trip the breaker. If you have the motor removed, you should have an open loop across the two fan wires. If it's still connected you should still only be showing 6 ohms. If that's the case, then you're probably good to just replace CB1 and test it out. If there is a short, then one of your wire bundles probably has two wires touching. It would be a 40 labeled wire and the black fan wire (or both fan wires touching each other) because it only shorts when the thermostats close.
                Hope this helps,
                Jon
                Last edited by jjohn76; 05-23-2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jon. I pretty much have the fan out, so I’ll check the leads with it disconnected. I may as well put power to it and make sure it works too. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Powered the fan up, works fine. I ordered the thermostat from the link from Wayne, got a new CB1 coming too.

Thanks again for the help, I’ll post back up when the parts are in and she draws breath once more.

Comment

Good thing Al Gore invented the internet so we could all figure this out!

Comment

We are very fortunate indeed.

Comment

Replaced the offending TP2 and she chooches like new. Thanks for the help boys!

Comment

Working...
                          X