Miller tig welder model hf-250-1 high frequency arc starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller tig welder model hf-250-1 high frequency arc starter

Could I set up to tig weld aluminum with this off a bobcat 225 ? Would it be a good way to do it or not worth it ? Probably could buy it for 500 . I don’t have a torch or bottle or anything for tig would have to buy that separate.

Originally posted by Kpack View Post
    Could I set up to tig weld aluminum with this off a bobcat 225 ? Would it be a good way to do it or not worth it ? Probably could buy it for 500 . I don’t have a torch or bottle or anything for tig would have to buy that separate.
    Possible, yes. Practical, no.
    Unless there is something I have forgotten, you would not have any provision for a pedal or thumb control for your amperage. Not really a big problem for mild or stainless steel. However, it will be a problem with aluminum.

Griff

Comment

You could, but you won't have any current control, which makes it a lot harder - the bobcat has no connection for a foot pedal. If your hf-250-1 unit isn't equipped with a contactor, you'll have to break the arc by lifting the tungsten. $500 seems a bit high for an older arc starter.

Comment

Thanks I was looking in the manual and saw that pin connector and knew I dint have that on the bobcat. Seemed high to me to . Thanks for your help .

Comment

I’ve done what you had planned, only I added an on-off switch to the torch. It would get you by in a pinch, but that’s about it. The advice given above is sound and the advice given to me was I’d be better off running another welder off the genset.

Comment

Yes there are a lot of cheap AC/DC tig welders I’m just a hobbyist wouldn’t use it much.

Comment

Working...
            X