Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Just a couple days was showing my machinist how to weld aluminum with the spool gun. He picked it up pretty quick on the .035 welding scrap 3/16 to some 1/8. I had him swap in a roll of 3/64, didn’t change the settings at all, as soon as he pulled the trigger that wire shot smooth through that t-joint. I was giving him a lesson on amperage with mig welding. So he started tweaking on the WFS and was able to dial it in.

Today I’ll be putting a new floor in a 1990 year model boat. It will be 3/16 to 1/8 work. Getting a good fit up on the parts will take substantially longer than the welding part. I hope to get it done today.

But to the 10’ mig gun and lack of reach comment....it certainly has its limitations. Welding on a golf cart frame or something, that’s no problem. I’ve actually suspended this machine by the gantry to get inside of a boat. But now with the 30a, it’s super easy. For mobility and ease of getting around, the spool gun is superior. If you’re doing fab work on table or some saw horses, I’d think the push-pull would be the clear winner.

Leave a comment:

• dvice
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    I run aluminum wire through my MM250 with a regular old mig gun right now. 3/64 5356, 10’ whip....she’s a beast.
    im welding mostly 1/8th aluminum, sometimes its the boat hull , but sometimes its a hardened 5000 series road sign.....I fab or a boat blind or a flotation pod or just about anything for my aluminum boat projects.... I have one spool of 1/4 used 5356 in .030 wire....but i was melting my boat faster than the wire would spit.....now im sure if i took the time, i could tweak it, but at the time, i just went back to the .035 4043. I did accidentaly get a spool of 3/64th . 4043, and it worked ok.....but both things I was welding together had to be similar.... I think i had a sheet of .093 5052 i had bought and i had to stay mostly on the 1/8th sign material going over quickly to the .093 and then back...i poked through the .093 a few times.... I know its tough to help a guy like me welding sporadiacally on used and dirty aluminum that doesnt fit perfectly....... I can never weld without SOME black soot......(mig).... as a fall back, if i can i take what i welded at home to work and fix it with the Dyanasty 350 tig machine

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I would not expect satisfactory results using smaller wire or 4043.

Leave a comment:

• jjohn76
    replied
    Originally posted by dvice View Post
    im wondering if an XR30W push pull gun will plug into and work with my miller 250 mig machine. Right now Im using a first generation 30A spool gun. its kinda worn and beat, but still wroks. I see a XR30W for sale and am wondering if using a larger spool of wire and making the guns profile smaller might make life easier for me and i do projects on my aluminum boats. thanks Bob
    You would have feeding problems if you just tried to plug the XR-30W into the MM250 because it would be near impossible to match the push and pull motor speeds. There used to be a Push-pull module you could buy for the Millermatic 250 that would let you do this. Sadly, I have only seen one on eBay, and it's no longer available. That module limited the stall torque in the pull motor. The newer machines do the opposite and limit the stall torque of the pusher motor. In either design, it keep a constant tension/compression that's just enough to improve feeding without damaging the wire.

Leave a comment:

• dvice
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    I run aluminum wire through my MM250 with a regular old mig gun right now. 3/64 5356, 10’ whip....she’s a beast.
    it would probably be a little more difficult with .035 4043, correct?, im up in my boat, and so a 10 ft lead wouldnt never work..I have the 30 ft 30A now.....

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied

Leave a comment:

• push pull gun for aluminum on an older miller 250 mig machine

im wondering if an XR30W push pull gun will plug into and work with my miller 250 mig machine. Right now Im using a first generation 30A spool gun. its kinda worn and beat, but still wroks. I see a XR30W for sale and am wondering if using a larger spool of wire and making the guns profile smaller might make life easier for me and i do projects on my aluminum boats. thanks Bob
Working...
X