Miller 330 a/bp not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 330 a/bp not working

I have 2 of these machines. One I've had for 25 years and use it every day. It just never breaks so I don't know how to fix them! I got another one that I've had a couple years and use it from time to time but have been using it more recently. Yesterday it just stopped welding. It turns in and when you hit the peddle the high frequency kicks in,kinda tries to throw an arc but won't weld. If you turn the power up really high it almost seams like the power and ground are connected...it starts humming pretty loud and popped the breaker. Any idea what to check? I don't see anything obvious. Thanks!

First thing I'd check would be the big diodes for the DC output.

Comment

What does it look like and where are they at? 8 use small diodes for a hydraulic set up we build but there tiny. Not sure how big they would be to make them big diodes?

Comment

There's four of them, and they should look like this:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1n4048_p.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	608250

They'll be screwed into heatsinks under the lifting eye, along with some other parts.

Test them like any other diode, even though they're huge... Set the welder's selector switch to AC to disconnect some of the other stuff from them, then use the diode check scale on your meter. They should read about 0.4-0.8v in one direction, and open in the other direction. In particular, none of the four should read shorted.

Comment

What year model is that monster?

Comment

Ok googled that ,found them and one is bad! Ordered it and will let you know. Greatly appreciated!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
              What year model is that monster?
              I'm not sure . Probably from the 70s?

Comment

Originally posted by Demonmotorsports View Post
                Ok googled that ,found them and one is bad! Ordered it and will let you know. Greatly appreciated!!!
                That was fast! Did you order it by miller part number, or a generic one?

Glad to help!

Comment

Working...
                X