Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob Rule
    replied
    For $1300 ill make my own. Thats like 6 times what i paid for the welder. Also . That doesnt make much sense to me , i noticed they say if you have one diode bad to change out the board hmmm change out the diode or change out the board.

Leave a comment:

• Bushytails
    replied
    I'm running off a solar system with a large inverter instead of mains power, and the xmt304's rectifier-and-capacitors input clips the tops off the sine waves then complains of low input voltage if I turn it up over about 110A, since it determines low input voltage by measuring the rectified and filtered output of the control transformer, which is measuring the peaks only, not the average voltage. My new Dynasty runs perfectly off the same power. My next project is wiring up a buck-boost transformer so I can run the 304 off 252V or 264V instead of 240V and see if that makes it happy, but an xmt350 with a better input design would be the less-ugly solution.

Leave a comment:

• jjohn76
    replied
    Yep, you could go the way I went and buy a used Hobart Porta Tig 460V for dirt cheap, pick up components on eBay over time, and build your own front end. It's only taken me two years to get the parts, probably another couple to get it going... I have never needed more power than what came out of a 50 amp circuit on my XMT304 or similar machine. What kind of projects are taking so much power?
    Last edited by jjohn76; 05-10-2020, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bushytails
    replied
    I'm actually looking for a xmt350 just because of the boost input section, as I'm having problems with the poor power factor / high crest factor / narrow acceptable voltage input of my xmt304... but almost every one I see looks like the problem is a blown input section, or costs way more than I can afford.

Leave a comment:

• jjohn76
    replied
    I figured they added the integrated power modules to preserve the case size once they added the boost power factor correction circuits into the welders. That and the active snubbers for both the boost pfc and the half bridge inverter. I don't see how they would have fit otherwise, given how much space the IGBTs and input rectifier took up on the XMT 304 heatsink. Sadly, I'd pick up a Miller XMT 304 to fix before a 350.

It could be worse... You could have picked up a Lincoln Powerwave 355, fixed it up to where it's mostly running well, only to find out Lincoln abandoned all software support for it once they switched to ArcLink communication systems. 16 year machine has outlived its service life because the company abandoned software support...
    Last edited by jjohn76; 05-10-2020, 08:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bushytails
    replied
    SKiiPs are the manufacturer's product line for the big integrated power modules PM1 and PM2, that look like:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	modulo-igbt-retificador-semikron-skiip-83-hec-125-t1-D_NQ_NP_960025-MLB25361047430_022017-F.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	608199
    The older ones are no longer available from miller, and used or questionable imports run $600+ for a pair (they're not the same, and miller suggests they usually both blow at once) when you can find them online, or you can buy the upgrade kit to the newer style for about $1300...

Personally I'm pretty disappointed in Miller for going this direction. Integrated power modules may reduce manufacturing costs, but they greatly increase repair costs - especially with Miller's pricing them to make a new welder seem like an attractive option. Not a very honest business decision, and lowers my opinion of them as a company. Is selling a few more new machines really worth pissing off your long-time customers when you hand them a repair bill larger than a new non-blue box?

Leave a comment:

• Rob Rule
    replied
    Thank you much my Manual envy is almost gone. I saw almost gone because im not 100% sure if the manual that i now have is exactly the right one because there are some different models but hopefully the checklist will work maybe tonight i can go through that

Leave a comment:

• Rob Rule
    replied
    What is a skiip?

Leave a comment:

• Rob Rule
    replied
    Yea i looked at it and i was hoping no p[arts were missing.l I figured if it said for parts, with undisclosed parts missing i would be returning it But everything was there

Leave a comment:

• Bushytails
    replied
    Heh, I was going to bid on that one! I got scared off when I saw the "PARTS" masking tape stuck to the cover... didn't want to end up with a unit that someone had already been pulling parts out of. I'd even asked the seller if they knew what was wrong with it, and they told me it had a bad solenoid. Which, as I'm sure you've probably noticed, it doesn't have, bad or otherwise.

I think there's some prohibition on linking to service manuals here, or at least everyone seems to avoid it, and I haven't been here long enough to know why... so I'll just say an xmt350 is also a red-d-arc ex360, and red-d-arc is a lot better than miller at providing service manuals, in that you can find them if you google their model number and service manual.

My assumption was a blown skiip, and they're annoyingly expensive....

Leave a comment:

• Rob Rule
    started a topic XMT 350 ooops

XMT 350 ooops

So ive been lurking in the background here for quite some time but this is my first post. I recently, on accident purchased a xmt 350. thats right on accident. But first, let me tell the story leading up to this. I have a good friend who has a XMT 350 w/cobramatic along with a water cooler, that was given to him from a job he did who really doesn't know what he has. It was all separated and in different parts of his property, while we were visiting from out of state i told him i would check it out and put it together. So i did and what an amazing setup. He even had an aluminum cart that everything fit right into. After playing with his welder (and getting over the "XMT350" envy) i started looking at them and other similar welders for sale but they were outside of my present budget.
    Coming home from our last vacation i was looking at welders on ebay and spotted a xmt350 starting bid was $120 bucks and i was like yea right that will be $2000 and then as i read the description i noticed it was not working for parts or needs repair. So i lost signal and thought i dont need another project right now and didnt think another thing about it But then when i arrived home i received an email stating that i won the auction and i needed to pay for this xmt350 welder. Apparently the phone i have put in a bid when i lost signal.
    Then i noticed $120 shipping ($240 total)so i thought i didnt want to get bad feedback, even though they might understand if i explained what happened. I thought what the heck ill just pay for it and then Mr. Fixit will have "another" project. I went through the welder (yes i know about capacitors and electricity safety etc etc). I have not connected power to it yet. There have been a few people on here with almost exact descriptions.(blown capacitor. bleed resistor) Everyone keeps referring to this magical mystical"Tech Manual" which of coarse caused me to do search after search online onforum to find my very own "Tech Manual".but i have failed and was unable to find it. This is not to be confused with the user manual, but rather the Technicians repair manual, I was able to find one on xmt 304 but thats of coarse not the one i need. I even sent a couple private messages to people here and now i realize people probably are not checking it on a regular basis which led me to create this post.
    In Case you are wondering the model is XMT® 350 CC/CV, Dinse
    and serial number is LH460224A
    I noticed blown capacitor, bleed resistor and diode on the same board as bleed resistor.
    So now i have this full blown "Tech Manual" Envy and it just wont go away. Anyone out there know how i feel? If anyone reads this and maybe you know how i feel, and you would like to help me get over this terrible "Tech Manual" Envy somehow. Envy is not good and without the manual i cant run all the pre power up checks and following distovery to make a decision if this welder is worth fixing or not. Im in $240 bucks right now but if it going to cost $2240 by the time im done i might as well buy i used one that works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance i really appreciate all the knowledge on here over the years even though i only recently registered so i could post.
    P.S. Im trying to be funny and not sarcastic in any way. Its just my way of making lemonade when i get lemons lol
    Thank you
Working...
X