Job hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job hunting

I'm a slow learner. I've had plenty of opportunities and when looking for a full time steady gig I've relied on a single page resume.
    I've realized this just doesn't cut the mustard. Recently I helped the wife update her medical portfolio. I realized how beneficial a "welders portfolio" could help a chap obtain gainful employment with a company that may or may not be familiar with the "keywords and terms" utilized in one's highly polished resume.
    I've relied on the "prestige" of name dropping the previous companies that I worked for not realizing the hiring managers may or may not investigate or even think twice about previous employment. My understanding was that relevant work history was as good as gold, where else would I have obtained the skills I posses? Clearly my resume has no section for "education".
    Sadly, the school of hard knocks has been discontinued and the job seekers of today should focus on pictures not the "keywords" of yesteryear. I have never used social media as a tool, however I've had a page on the IG before. Everything has been deleted. I myself do not subscribe to any social media and for this reason I feel this thread could be of benefit to some.
    Create a portfolio. Look it up. There's formats. A cover page. A table of contents. You include a cover letter, a resume, letters of recommendation, references and career goals. Most importantly, pictures. Those of you that have some examples, share them.
    Make copies of everything. Sleeve and tab and label and make it yours. 3 ring binder and all. At the interview use it at a reference NOT the focus. Give examples and have proof of the skills and projects you've completed or helped with. Use it as a tool and don't expect to.get it back. Its to be treated as an investment in your future. Its a tool and a valuable one IMO.
    Just a thought. Pictures. In focus. To the point. Sell yourself.
    Welding is one aspect of a bigger picture. There is a lot out there and welding could be your first step into a successful career.
    Soap box stowed

Or, you could show up in clean work clothes, ppe, and everything necessary to test and first and foremost capable of passing a test.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewelder View Post
      Or, you could show up in clean work clothes, ppe, and everything necessary to test and first and foremost capable of passing a test.
      That doesn't work everywhere. I had to take a written test just to take a 6G test. Don't pass the first you won't get the second...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
      X