Millermatic 135 vs. Hobart 190

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    You could probably spend half that budget and get twice the size machine used.

Sounds like you want the Hobart 190. I say get it. It has a small foot print and, by all accounts, runs pretty good..
    I really want a millermatic 211 but I haven't seen an of those used locally. I have only come across two millermatic 175s that were priced right for me. Maybe I am not looking in the right places or maybe its a SoCal thing. I do like the small size of the HH series. As far as bigger older welders I really don't know what to look for and I am limited on space. Many of the welders I see on craigslist and such look really beat up.

Comment

The 211, especially the transformer model, is hard to come by on the used market it seems. I guess that means people like them. A friend of mine has one in his shop and I’ve used it a good bit, so I can see why they’re not popping up all over Craigslist and eBay.

Comment

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy one of the very last transformer MM211s when they were getting rid of them cheap to make room for the new inverter model. I then bought a second one about two years ago--found a very decent used one on CL for $600 with a nice homemade cart. Planned to keep it as a source of spare parts until I died or couldn't weld any more, and probably use it occasionally. However, my barber is an old car/motorcycle rebuilder/fixer and is always welding something. He wanted a better welder; I think all I saw in his garage was a 120v Hobart. He wanted a 211 in the worst way, but couldn't afford one. So, I sold it to him about a year ago and got my $600 back. Why should I have two when a great guy I know has none? Every time I get a haircut he tells me what he's been building. I'm glad he got it, and I have too many welders anyway, for a guy my age. If I find another one for that price, I'll let you know. I think in the last three-four years, I've only seen 3 (old) MM211s on CL in the hinterlands of southern NY/northern PA, and one was the one I bought. The others were priced like new ones. And I suspect there are a lot of them around here, with all the farmers and tinkerers. I think Ryan is right--people who have them keep them.

Comment

Originally posted by eacook1 View Post
          So with the responses here I feel comfortable buying the HH190, but now I am wondering if I should indeed get the 210. Bigger is better right?

I looked up the current price difference at my local tractor supply which currently has the cheapest price on the HH190, on sale for $669. They sell the HH210MVP for $949. So that is 280 dollars more to go from 5/16 max thickness to 3/8. They both have 30% duty cycle but the 210 at a 20amp higher rating, so i guess it won't work as hard to do what I am doing. Again I mostly will be welding .120 wall tube, bumping up to 1/4 plate on occasion.

I have no need for the dual voltage. I know people say "you never know when you might need that". My millermatic 135 has not left my garage in 15 years. I already have a 50amp 220 circuit for this new welder.

Am I missing anything? Try to sell me on the 210.

Here is a side by side on specs.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"hobart specs.jpg","data-attachmentid":608170**[/ATTACH]
          The 210 has a 3 year warranty where as the 190 only has a 2 year warranty. The 210 has more power, is dual voltage. In my opinion, I would spend the extra bucks for both of those assets.
          A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
          LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
          Lincoln Weldpak 100
          Gianttech Arc 200
          Victor O/A

Comment

You will be fine with the 190. It is an upgrade from what you have. If you need a bigger machine in the future, sell it and get a bigger one. These small machines hold their value which is why it is hard to find a reasonably priced used one so you will can get most of your money back. Just get the 190 and don't over think it.
            Last edited by MMW; 05-09-2020, 03:31 PM.
            MM250
            Trailblazer 250g
            22a feeder
            Lincoln ac/dc 225
            Victor O/A
            MM200 black face
            Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
            Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
            Arco roto-phase model M
            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
            Miller spectrum 875
            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
            Syncrowave 250
            RCCS-14

Comment

I picked up the 190 this week. I will test it out tomorrow. I posted my 135 on Offer up for $400 firm. I have three inquiries and a guy coming out tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BA938081-EA5C-4307-ACB8-53D93AC695F4.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	608317
              Last edited by eacook1; 05-15-2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I think you will be very happy with it. Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations on the new machine!
                  A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
                  LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
                  Lincoln Weldpak 100
                  Gianttech Arc 200
                  Victor O/A

Comment

Working...
                  X