Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Sheet Metal with ARCREACH 12 Using CC Power Source

Alright, a two prong question here.

I have 2 each power sources to choose from, going on my portable 1974 Miller Big 40 as well as using a Miller 330A/BP (is set up as TIG now as well) can welding with my Arcreach 12 Suitcase weld sheet metal such as auto body using .023 wire with success? Both power sources are CC and not CV.

Now I will be using the Arcreach 12 Suitcase for thicker materials down the road such as plate and pipe and I believe it will be fine there just don't want to be purchasing smaller equipment to weld the lighter materials.

I've seen people claim you can use a suitcase on CC successfully, but my experience has been it doesn't work very well, especially on thinner material. You need enough current to use spray transfer, which can be problematical with .023 anyway (probably need .035), and then you end up with too much heat for thin sheet. You can have more success on thick materials, but it's a lot pickier than a cv source and, at least from my experience, fairly difficult to get set up for reliable welds. Of course, someone will probably chime in and correct me - I admit I gave up without spending too much time trying, and got a Bobcat...

If you need to weld thin sheet off the big 40, I'd suggest picking up a used cheap 110V wire feeder and running it off the generator side.

Comment

Agree with the above post
      Bob Wright

Comment

No, I won't need to work off the Big 40 on the thin stuff and I do have the 330A/BP TIG unit that I can weld the thin stuff with and save the suitcase for the big stuff on either the BIG 40 or the 330A/BP as a power source. My son has a small mig unit set up for the sheet metal but I figured that I would try what I have to keep his stuff in his shop and my stuff in mine. I Have the suitcase ARCREACH 12 so I'll see what I can do for now with it. I have it set up for .023,.030, .035 and .045 wire so I can for sure play with it!

Comment

Pics are always good. Let us know...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
          X