'12 Bobcat 250 electrical outlet problem- need some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '12 Bobcat 250 electrical outlet problem- need some info

I fired up my "new" BC 250LP yesterday to put four quick tacks on a motorcycle wheel chock to my steel trailer bed, and found out that my 120v outlets aren't putting out anything. I tried the reset/test buttons, but my grinder didn't even click. This is the same set of 2 plugs that needed a cover flap, which i'll be putting on today. The welder has been covered since I bought it last month. So, before I tear into the beast, I wanted to get your opinions and ideas on what might be the problem, or at least where to start the troubleshooting. I'm hoping it's just a reset somewhere, or maybe a fuse. I know if I have to go as far as replacing the receptacles, they won't have GFI's on them next time. I hate those things. Anyway, any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone.

Do you have weld output?

Comment

Yeah, welds great! After welding a few passes with it, I just figured everything else was secondary, and probably worked anyway. Ooops!

Comment

I have't worked on that model (mine is a 225NT), but the first thing I'd check is if there's power to the back of the GFCIs. Failed GFCIs are not uncommon. If that is the problem, and you don't want another GFCI, a regular Decora outlet should fit right in.

Comment

That's what I was going to try. Figured I'd check the connections and trace it back from there. I've had to deal with bad gfi's before. The city inspector that did the inspection on our house, after I'd installed new siding/windows/doors etc., and told me I'd have to replace all 7 of our outdoor outlets with gfi's. I told him that the waterproof covers on mine should be good enough, but he insisted, and it cost another couple hundred bucks to pull out the plugs and the covers and housings, since they didn't fit the non-gfi's aren't big enough to hold the gfi's. That was above and beyond having to pull some siding off to get them out and in, and trimming the already perfect fit holes for the new ones. [email protected]#%?! I've now had 3 of those gfi's fail in the last 10 years. Not to mention that they are a ghost load draw. Hate 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by showme View Post
            ...The city inspector that did the inspection on our house, after I'd installed new siding/windows/doors etc., and told me I'd have to replace all 7 of our outdoor outlets with gfi's. I told him that the waterproof covers on mine should be good enough, but he insisted, and it cost another couple hundred bucks to pull out the plugs and the covers and housings, since they didn't fit the non-gfi's aren't big enough to hold the gfi's. That was above and beyond having to pull some siding off to get them out and in, and trimming the already perfect fit holes for the new ones. [email protected]#%?! I've now had 3 of those gfi's fail in the last 10 years. Not to mention that they are a ghost load draw. Hate 'em!
            You probably could have been able to GFCI protect them from upstream in the circuit, possibly even at the circuit breaker. It doesn't have to be a GFCI receptacle at the point of use unless it's the only way to do it.

Comment

well, it's a hundred year old house and the circuits are all over the place. I'm pretty sure they're on 3 or 4 different circuits wired into everything else in the house. But that is what I did with the kitchen counter.

Comment

If this is a newer 250 bobcat, there is a trip breaker under the 50 amp plug in. If tripped, that will shut off power to all electrical outlets in the machine.
                Lincoln Idealarc 250
                Miller Bobcat 250
                Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                Torchmate CNC table

Comment

That's what I'm thinking. There should probably be a reset breaker somewhere before the outlets. I haven't gotten down to the property yet to even open it up and look. (Changing oil on my truck's duramax and today I'm replacing seals in the hydro boost/master cylinder set up. The fun never ends around here.) But thanks for letting me know that, snoepro. I'm hoping it's just a simple re-setting of the breaker instead of 2 new outlets. Thanks.

Comment

https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media/...front-open.jpg
                    This is a photo of the new 260. Your panel should be identical. Notice the white breaker switch under the 50 amp power plug.
                    Lincoln Idealarc 250
                    Miller Bobcat 250
                    Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                    Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Working...
                    X