No announcement yet.

Miller Thunderbolt XL 4 position switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is what looks like a big hex nut behind the contact assembly in the latest picture hollow so it might accommodate a spring?

---Meltedmetal
    ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
      Is what looks like a big hex nut behind the contact assembly in the latest picture hollow so it might accommodate a spring?

---Meltedmetal
      Yes. There is a spring behind it. Another thing that would confirm the orientation of the selector.

Comment

Originally posted by jtap View Post

Yes. There is a spring behind it. Another thing that would confirm the orientation of the selector.
        Then with out seeing it up close I would have to suspect that the spaces with the welding rod in them are supposed to be empty and the pressure for the contacts is supposed to come from the spring at the hub. Does that spring appear to be weak? I can't think of another reason for the welding rod "fix". You may see it differently in person. Just throwing out an idea. Good luck with it.

---Meltedmetal
        ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post

Then with out seeing it up close I would have to suspect that the spaces with the welding rod in them are supposed to be empty and the pressure for the contacts is supposed to come from the spring at the hub. Does that spring appear to be weak? I can't think of another reason for the welding rod "fix". You may see it differently in person. Just throwing out an idea. Good luck with it.

---Meltedmetal
          That's a possibility. I think maybe there is uneven wear on the copper. It seems like those should be another replaceable part. Maybe they were trying to correct that with the bits of rod and there was no spring in there (as you are suggesting) and the copper pieces on the selector are just supposed to teeter a bit on the circular part.

I still had some continuity issues with the AC high and the work connector. I certainly could more easily make a new spring that goes inside the dial since I have one to measure. I have no intent to sell this unit so I decided to buy another switch so I have one while they are still available and this one can be parts.

It's working for now. I just have to jiggle it on AC high to make sure it's sitting right. I ran my first rod on AC tonight (low). Worked fine. It was just a continuity issue before. At least now I know. It will be interesting to see what the other switch looks like. I'll have to take pictures and post them.
          Last edited by jtap; 04-27-2020, 07:36 PM.

Comment

New switch came. Very different design. It looks to be superior in every way.

It has springs behind each arm on the selector now and the arms aren't as long. There are no plastic bits that hold the copper in as they are now riveted. The plastic screw holes that hold the assembly to the face of the machine are now threaded (1 or 2 of mine were stripped).

Comment

That should fix it up.

---Meltedmetal
              ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Working...
              X