orange flare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orange flare

Started new job fabricating stainless exhaust components for the performance market.
    Material is 16, 18 and 20 gu mild steel, 304 and 321.
    Everything is back purged. CFH can range from 5 to 20 and the torch flow is 20-25 CFH.
    Was handed a Monster gas lense my first day. Stick out is often .750" to 1" depending on the shape and spacing between tubes.
    I use a passive shade 11 lense due to constrictions when pencil torch welding the inside of merge collectors.
    There is an enormous amount of orange flare generated from the weld puddle.
    Any suggestions for a good passive lense in shade 11 to help eliminate this orange flare?

The best passive I've used were the gold coated one's, don't know if that will remove the flare but they do provide a good view over the standard green filter.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Comment

Check out a wens lens.

http://wenslens.com/

Not cheap, but good quality. I’d call them, tell them your application and let them make a recommendation.

Comment

LT, the gold one I have is plastic, do you know of a name or brand for the one you use?
        Ryan, I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

If you end up going with Wens and shipping is out of sight, let me know and I’ll just go pick it up and drop it in an envelope for you. They’re about 20 minutes from me.

Comment

I prefer the glass over the plastic, Harris sells them and I'm sure there are others
            Richard
            West coast of Florida

Comment

[QUOTE=ryanjones2150;n607636]If you end up going with Wens and shipping is out of sight, let me know and I’ll just go pick it up and drop it in an envelope for you. They’re about 20 minutes from me.[/QUOTE

Thank you Ryan! I have a call into them just after close and got a txt from em. I'll be in touch Monday. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Ltbadd View Post
                I prefer the glass over the plastic, Harris sells them and I'm sure there are others
                Same here. So these Wens lenses that Ryan mentioned are gold coated as well. Harris makes decent stuff, I'll look into them as well.

Comment

You definitely want glass or some other sacrificial lens over it.

Comment

Wens wants over 200 for the larger size in shade 11 and there wasn't any information available on performance with my application.
                    I'm gonna ask around in the motorsports side of things.

Comment

Ya man, their lenses ain’t cheap.

Comment

Does anyone filter their argon that could recommend a good product for me to use?

Comment

I haven't used this but may be worth at least looking at LINK
                          Richard
                          West coast of Florida

Comment

Thanks Lt

Comment

I tried a gold coated 11 and a 10. Neither were any better. I dont know. I put together a 20 gauge 321 4 into 1 today. low amperage, tons of stick out and trying not to burn thru. I couldn't see a **** thing. The shade 10 was brighter in fact, too bright and didn't offer any better view. Maybe I need to go pay the optometrist a visit before shelling out for a Wens.

Comment

Working...
                              X