New (used) Bobcat 250 LP questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (used) Bobcat 250 LP questions

I just bought a 2012 BC 250 propane welder, and I've got a few questions, this being my first Miller propane rig. I paid $1500 for it and it runs great, is mounted on what I think is called an all terrain cart (2 wobble wheels on front), and a miller tank rack on the back. Here are my questions-

A) Do these units have fuel filters? I just ordered a Kohler tune up/oil change kit, and it has one in it. I know these have a regulator and vaporizer, but does propane need a filter? The last one I owned was a Lincoln Ranger 8, but it was brand new and before I had enough hours on it to need to do a tune up, I sold it, so I don't even know if it had a filter. I haven't really gotten into the engine yet, but I'd like to know as much as possible before I start.

B) Ok, here's a question I'm kind of embarrassed to ask, since it's my fault for not catching this when I bought it. As I said, I'm getting ready to change the oil, so when I checked the oil level on the dip stick, I opened the oil filler cap to check that out too. What I saw looked like the oil had been contaminated with water at some point in the past. http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL137.../414402932.jpg
    This was a company welder at some point, and from the markings at various places on the rig, it looks like they did regular maintenance on it, such as this pic of the lid on the oil fill and air filter. http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL137.../414402933.jpg But somewhere along the way some water has contaminated the oil. And, yes, there's a tiny bit on the very bottom of the dip stick. So I'm draining and flushing (with oil) the engine and pan to get the H2O out. My question is, is this a normal thing with these welders? And is there a specific spot I should start looking for a bad gasket?

The guy had two of these, and said I could have either one of them. We started it up, I adjusted it to my heat and put down a good bead, so I bought it. It has 1645 hours on it (The other had 2,100, so I took this one without even starting the other 250 up.

I bought this as a dual purpose rig. It will be my stationary shop welder, and also our back up generator for our solar/wind system. We're building an earth home (soil covered except for the south face), and using 9kw of solar panels and a 1.5kw wind generator. From my calculations, I figure this welder will hardly ever be called on to back up the battery bank with the amount of panels and wind genny we have. But it's for those rare times that we might have 4 or 5 days of rain or dark skies.

Back to the point, I'm really happy with this welder, and I'm not too worried (yet) about what I've found, but I need to know from you experts what your thoughts are, and if anyone has had similar problems with their LP 250. FWIW, the sn is MC331314R. Thanks in advance for any comments or ideas on this, and your experiences with this model. I do appreciate it. Lee Butcher

I don't know your machine but we do have a propane fork lift. I would expect the propane to have a filter somewhere in the system. As for your oil, our fork lift does that and did it since we got it. The water is a by-product of propane combustion and engine wear(most likely). I'd suspect piston blow-by and/or valve stem seals. On the other hand our lift is a 1973 model that we have had since the early 80's. Outside of the odd tuneup it still runs okay in that condition. Your mileage may vary. Good luck with it.

----Meltedmetal
    ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Pretty sure my manual states you should be using 100% synthetic oil with propane fired machines.
      whats nice about the propane fired units is they can be used indoors in larger facilities. They run a lot cleaner than gasoline fired units.
      Last edited by snoeproe; 03-27-2020, 09:57 AM.
      Lincoln Idealarc 250
      Miller Bobcat 250
      Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
      Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Thanks, fellas! I got the rig moved down to our property and out of the truck, and the Kohler oil and tune up kit came in this weekend. (Yep, snowproe, it came with synthetic oil). Thanks for the confidence builder, melted metal, by telling me this is normal for your lift, and that it's still running ok. Now to get under that thing and figure out the easiest method of draining it. All the youtube videos i'm finding are for 325's or Onan's or gas powered engines. Guess i'm going to have to video myself figuring it out and learn how to post on YT so the next guy who comes along will have a reference point. Thanks again, guys!

Comment

It will have a drain tube on the side of the block. (look for the yellow cap) Turn and pull.
          All Kohler kits come with a fuel filter (for gas). You won't need it for your machine.

Comment

Thanks, 1997cst, that's what I was looking for. Lee

Comment

was down at the property yesterday doing some brush hogging and clearing (on my Bobcat!...skidsteer), so I went ahead and drained the oil after adding a few ounces of Seafoam to help clean out the crud. Found the drain tube, which is very handy, changed the air filter and plugs, then attempted to change the filter. After not being able to get it to budge with a cap style filter remover, I tried the old 'screwdriver in the side as a handle' trick, and it still won't break open. It sets back behind the piping and vaporizer, so I'm taking my bike chain type filter wrench down next time to see if that will work. Anybody have any tricks they can share for getting an over-tightened oil filter off of a propane kohler engine???

Comment

I use a band wrench for most of my oil changes. I’ve got 3 different sizes of band wrench.
                Lincoln Idealarc 250
                Miller Bobcat 250
                Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Working...
                X