Reading Argon Flowmeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading Argon Flowmeter

Feel free to roast me on this, but I can’t figure out a good way to read the ball on my argon Flowmeter!

I’m obviously new to TIG......

In order to read the ball, I need to have the torch on...I’m apprehensive about just activating the torch in mid air while looking at the meter - won’t it try to arc across the room or something?

Reading the ball seems like such a high wire act! How do y’all do it?

No it won't arc across the room. Just hold business end of the torch away from anything conductive.
    If I remember correctly my flow meters read by the top of the ball.

---Meltedmetal
    ---Meltedmetal

Comment

I have a Victor and a no name they both say, read the top of the ball. If the torch head is away from anything not grounded by your machine it won't arc. If your machine has high frequency, you can dance the high frequency arc across your hand just keep it moving. If you hold in one place for to long it will get hot. Back when my kids were little I would dance the arc around on their hands, they were afraid at first but once they saw me do it on my hand they would let me do it on their hands. They were fascinated by the little lightning bolts running around on their hands.

Comment

Firing the torch off in mid air is probably the absolute least of your worries when tig welding with HF. I think you have a better chance of tripping and falling and stabbing yourself in the eyeball with the sharpened tungsten then getting zapped while checking your argon flow rate. But if, for some reason, you can’t see or get to your flow meter while punching the foot pedal, you can disconnect the hose and let it free flow to get you in the ballpark.

Comment

Thanks everybody!

Comment

Working...
          X