Power consumption "generator" vs "home current"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power consumption "generator" vs "home current"

Recently spoke with a guy that said he uses his small 4K gasoline powered generator to run his 100v mig welder in his small shop. Runs the generator outside and feeds the welder via extension cord. Claims that in the long run it is cheaper as compared to using 110v house current.

I don't know if he is correct....just seems like a pain in the rear to operate that way if you don't have to?
    Love Them Old Chevys
    www.RustyBowtie.com

I can’t imagine that little mig welder making so much as blip on his power bill.

Comment

Agree--I cannot imagine ever generating your own power to run a welder being cheaper than the electric company. Fuel, oil changes, wear and tear leading to replacement cost..... US electric power costs from 9 cents to 23 cents per KWH depending on where you live, per the US Gov's Energy Information Administration.

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/mont...p?t=epmt_5_6_a

US Average is 12.69 cents. I assume that includes delivery charges, but don't know. Let's assume a Lincoln 140 Mig welder--that's what's most available at Lowes or HD. Max current draw is 20 amps; probably more like 12-14 amps max for most home welding; likely less most of the time. So let's say 13 amps x 120v = 1.56 KW, and that is probably high. If you take average electricity cost, that's 1.56 KW x .1269/KWH = 19.79 cents per hour (while actually welding, not just having the machine on). So if he is actually burning wire for an hour a day 5 days a week, x 4.33 weeks in a month, that comes out to paying the electric company $4.28 per month. If only on weekend days, say 8 days/month at one hour actually welding x 19.79 cents/hr, we're down to $1.58/month. Wonder how much gas the generator burns in a month? How long will it last? Amortize the cost of generator replacement, add gas and oil, and the electric company has to be cheaper.

But the worst part is, would I go out, run an extension cord, fuel and fire up the generator, then put it away every time I want to weld? For a dollar a week saving on the electric bill? (or 40 cents per week if only on weekends)? Nope. But, to each his own. If we all did things the same way, it would be a dull world.

Comment

I doubt it would be possible to even run that machine wide open that much with the low duty cycle it has.

Comment

For sure. He may enjoy welding with a generator, but he's sure not saving any money.

Comment

If it's cheaper to generate power with little generators than to buy it off the grid, I would think the big power companies would scrap all their big generators and go to Tailgators. Given the economies of scale, I would think they could save billions if not trillions of dollars per year by doing so.

LOL ... I think your friend is just "a bit" mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by BOWTIEGUY View Post
              Recently spoke with a guy that said he uses his small 4K gasoline powered generator to run his 100v mig welder in his small shop. Runs the generator outside and feeds the welder via extension cord. Claims that in the long run it is cheaper as compared to using 110v house current.

I don't know if he is correct....just seems like a pain in the rear to operate that way if you don't have to?
              I'm not going to bother running the numbers but, I am certain he is wrong. By a long shot!
              If he is using a properly sized extension cord, he probable spent more on the cord than he would spend on electricity for a long time.

Griff

Comment

Working...
              X