Cp-200 3 phase conversion question/issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cp-200 3 phase conversion question/issue

I started The haas-kamp conversion today but when I opened Up the welder the copper jumpers on the power board weren’t the same as the diagram for the conversion showed. The conversion manual says to label the 3 sets of 4 lugs, 1-12. My board has 3 sets of 3 lugs.

I’ll attach the pictures of the conversion diagram and what Mine looks like.
    many help to figure it out would be appreciated.

Here’s another picture of the jumper link configuration of mine compared to the conversion diagram.
    how do I proceed With the conversion?

Comment

Unfortunately, you have a 208/230V version of the CP-200. The problem is each of the three primary coils are only intended to handle ~138VAC +/-20%. If you search on Practical Machinist for Haas Kamp 208/230, you will come across a couple threads from folks who brought in the neutral line as well, wired the A and C coils 180 degrees apart, then used either the A or C coil inputs with the phase shift capacitor circuit on the B coil. One half of your circuit breaker would be stressed a lot more than the other. I remember Dave Kamp cautioned against this. It may be worth looking for a 208/230/460V machine or a 230/460V machine, or find a bigger single phase machine, like a Hobart Fabricator 300, Miller Regency, or something similar. Those go for a few hundred around me, with feeders. I had a CP-300 208/230/460 with a Haas Kamp conversion that I actually just sold (after putting it back to original) to a fabricator who got tired of burning out the Millermatics, had three phase, and liked old school... There is a Hobart Fabricator 300 with a bench feeder (not as nice as the R-115 I sold with the CP-300) and spoolgun for a few hundred less than I sold the CP-300.

Comment

I really appreciate that information
        ive been digging deep into the forums and researching the cp200 208/230 only conversions. Some say it’s worked fine, others say they couldn’t figure it out.
        this couldn’t cause damage to my breaker panel right? Potentially would just trip the breaker if anything went wrong?
        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by grnmtn11 View Post
          I really appreciate that information
          ive been digging deep into the forums and researching the cp200 208/230 only conversions. Some say it’s worked fine, others say they couldn’t figure it out.
          this couldn’t cause damage to my breaker panel right? Potentially would just trip the breaker if anything went wrong?
          thanks
          You're correct--it's not going to hurt the panel--just trip the breaker....but, I have to add, if you happen to have an older installation with Federal Pacific (FPE) breakers, DO NOT try this. They often do not trip when they should.

Comment

So, I’ve completed the conversion and it seems to be working.
            I went off the goosamans notes and trial an error as he suggested.
            I will post how I did The conversion and possibly make a clear diagram and add comments to the step by step notes that I followed.
            thanks for the help

Comment

Anxious to hear more!

Comment

Working...
              X