Hooking a suitcase feeder 12RC to xmt 304

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking a suitcase feeder 12RC to xmt 304

i just bought a suitcase feeder 12rc. previous owner changed the 14pin plug to a 24pin plug. i need to change back to 14pin to connect to my xmt 304. i have a control cable with 14pin connector. the cable has 5 wires and the connector has 5 pins marked A B C D E.
    the feeder 12rc has two plugs internally. one female 6 pin plug and one female 3 pin plug. i have a schematic for the feeder.
    the wires feeding the internal plugs are 5,67,68, 69, there is also a 38 and a couple numbers i couldn't read.
    which wires from the feeder plugs go to the five wires of the 14 pin control cable?

thank you in advance

Lectrician, what is your suitcase serial number? It sounds like you have a remote amperage cable (5 conductor) that you're trying to use with the 12RC, which needs 8 conductors. Take a look at section 4-4 of the operator manual. The reason for the extra three conductors (did you get this cable from a tig pedal or something?) is the 12RC pulls 24VAC from the remote receptacle (pin G is an extra contact you need to power the 12RC), as well as the 12RC pulls weld amperage and voltage from the XMT (pins F and H) to display at the suitcase. I would look at two options - either buy an 18/3 portable power cord and solder to your three additional pins (F,G,H), or buy an 18/8 cord and connect all of the pins. From the manual I am reading-

A -> RC21-1 (#5) 24VAC when measured from AC circuit common G
    G -> RC21-2 (#4) AC circuit common for 24VAC
    B -> RC21-3 (#37) Contact closure to A completes AC contact control circuit and triggers XMT to energize output
    E -> RC21-4 (#68) Voltage reference signal to the XMT
    D -> RC21-5 (#69) Voltage reference common from XMT
    C -> RC21-6 (#67) +10V from XMT for Voltage reference circuit
    There should be a jumper (#69) from RC21-5 to RC42-1
    H -> RC42-2 (#95) Voltage feedback from XMT for display on 12RC
    F -> RC42-3 ( #97) Amperage feedback from XMT for display on 12RC

Please confirm this is what you see as well in the electrical diagram and section 4-4 of the manual.
    Hope this helps,
    Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon , yes indeed i was attempting to use a tig cord with only 5 conductors so i guess i will have to get another cord and plug. my serial is LF066954 . in section 4-2 of my manual it shows the 14pin connector with 8 pins being used A through F. previous owners 24pin plug has 8 pins being used also. the old wire is too short to reuse so i will get a new wire and new plug. I'll keep you posted on my progress

Comment

Sounds good. Section 4-2 should also show leads to pins G and H. G is definitely needed, or your feeder won't have the 24VAC power required to run. F and H could be optional (if you don't have the digital display), though I wouldn't put money on that without calling Miller Tech.

Jon

Comment

Yes. The 12rc pulls 24v through the remote plug. This is much like the 22a bench feeder.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250
          Miller Bobcat 250
          Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
          Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Working...
          X