Air Cooled engine oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Cooled engine oil

I’m curious what everyone’s running for oil in their air cooled welders? I’ve got a 302 Airpak with the 30HP Kohler and I’ve been using Amsoil 10W-30 small engine Synthetic. It seems like good stuff I’ve been told it’s great for these small engines that bang away 10+ hours daily but sometimes I have trouble tracking it down and I’d like to hear what some of you other Trailblazer/Ranger guys are using

EDIT: I found the post by Cruizer after I made this here’s the link so we don’t have to do that all over again
    https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...-cooled-engine

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_40013.jpg Views:	6 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	606695
    Last edited by mwm13; 02-10-2020, 11:26 PM.

VR1 30wt racing oil for me.

Comment

I don't doubt Amsoil is better, but I've been running Mobil 1 Extended Synthetic in my engine drive and Generac 20Kw standby unit.

Comment

Rotella in my air-cooled Deutz diesel.

Comment

Mobil 1, ..10w/30 for me in all my air cooled.
          I run Mobil 1 in everything I own except my Cummins diesel

Comment

I’ve read on another page that the oil we run in these air cooled engines should have additives like zinc. That a standard auto motive oil just won’t cut it. I’ll try and find the write up I read and repost it here

Comment

Originally posted by mwm13 View Post
              I’m curious what everyone’s running for oil in their air cooled welders? I’ve got a 302 Airpak with the 30HP Kohler and I’ve been using Amsoil 10W-30 small engine Synthetic. It seems like good stuff I’ve been told it’s great for these small engines that bang away 10+ hours daily but sometimes I have trouble tracking it down and I’d like to hear what some of you other Trailblazer/Ranger guys are using
              [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\timage_40013.jpg Views:\t6 Size:\t2.56 MB ID:\t606695","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"606695","data-size":"medium"**[/ATTACH]
              I have an account with Amsoil, so I just order directly from them. It's like $20 a year, and they deliver straight to me anything in their website. I use that oil in my generator.
              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
              HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Search this forum for Cruizer's posts on oil. He runs a welder repair business, and does a lot of engine-drive work, I think with focus on the Canadian oilfields. He has not posted in some time, but I believe his go-to oils were Quaker State Defy, Motorcycle oil (from Harley, if I remember correctly), and I think he may have mentioned Rotella T6, but don't quote me on any of that. Seems the VR1 racing oil Ryan mentioned was also in his lineup, but 30 weight is pretty thick for winter use up north.

Comment

You’re right, Wayne, I changed all my air cooled engines to the VR1 after that lengthy discussion we had a few years ago on this topic. Turned out my local parts house I patronize stocks the VR1, so that’s really the only reason I chose that one.

The only air cooled engine I don’t use it in is the genset in my motor home. It’s an Onan and I bought a case of the specific onan oil while it was still under warranty. A case of oil for a 4400 watt genset will last a long time.

Comment

Working...
                  X