Auto darkening helmet for outside work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto darkening helmet for outside work

I’m looking to buy a new hood, and have read some don’t work well if welding outside when it’s sunny. I do 99% of my work outside. I was leaning towards the new digital infinity, but have read a lot of posts where they loved the lense, and hated the headgear. I don’t need top of the line, as I’m a field mechanic, and welding is just part of it, but it’s usually minor welding.
    Thanks

Some cheaper hoods darken down just from the sun light. That pretty much defeats the purpose of an auto hood. One with a sensitivity adjustment will overcome that. Turn the sensitivity down a skosh or two and it’ll be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jrgreene1968 View Post
      I’m looking to buy a new hood, and have read some don’t work well if welding outside when it’s sunny. I do 99% of my work outside. I was leaning towards the new digital infinity, but have read a lot of posts where they loved the lense, and hated the headgear. I don’t need top of the line, as I’m a field mechanic, and welding is just part of it, but it’s usually minor welding.
      Thanks
      As Ryan said, the cheaper ones have no sensitivity adjustment and therefore, are troublesome.
      I have used Miller's for several years, inside and outside, with no problems.
      And yes, the headgear sucks. Apparently though, I have gotten accustomed to the headgear.

HTH
      Griff

Comment

I own three auto hoods. Two Miller BWEs and a Jackson EQC Executive. They are all over ten years old and still work great, and they all work just fine outdoors in the SoNV desert sunlight. I replaced the crappy original Jackson headgear with their new headgear (avail on Amazon) and it was a tremendous improvement.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think I’m going to get a miller, since both lws tend to stock more miller stuff, if I need parts etc. 1 last question. Is there much difference between the miller digital elite, and digital infinity?
          thanks

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think I’m going to get a miller, since both lws tend to stock more miller stuff, if I need parts etc. 1 last question. Is there much difference between the miller digital elite, and digital infinity?
            thanks
            I am very pleased with the Digital Elite. I have not used the Infinity. If it is better than the Elite, it will be awesome.

Griff

Comment

I went ahead and ordered a digital infinity. The bigger viewing area is what made me choose it over the elite. I stopped by my lws on the way in from work. He was out of the infinity, but he had a demo on the shelf to try on and check out. Hopefully it does the trick.

Comment

thanks
                I have both, the DI has a larger view and also is heavier/ front heavy. I typically don't do a lot of welding for more then an hour. Right now I prefer the DE as it has the clearlight lens and the DI is pre-CL
                Richard
                West coast of Florida

Comment

Go ahead and get a box of the outside and inside lens covers. I’m sure we can all use to replace those more often.

Comment

Well I guess the infinity just ain’t for me. I like the lens ok, but I guess I’ve got an odd shaped head, cause I can’t make it fit right. I’ve got a fairly cheap Lincoln Viking that fits like a glove, and a older pipeliner hood that also fits good. So much for that idea, lol. Guess I’m gonna sell it and try a pancake hood

Comment

Have you looked at pancake hoods with an Arc One autodark lens. This the setup a lot of pipe weldors use outside.

Comment

Originally posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
                        Have you looked at pancake hoods with an Arc One autodark lens. This the setup a lot of pipe weldors use outside.
                        that’s what I think I’m going to try. A buddy of mine has that setup and it sure fit my head better. Only thing I’m worried about is durability.
                        He said he welded for 25 years before he tried a pancake, and wouldn’t go back to regular hood if he had to

Comment

I feel like I'm late to the party but I know the more upscale helmets miller sell like the Titanium (don't make it no more but that's what I got) the T94, the Elite and Infinity I believe all have X-Mode which relies on the magnetic field surrounding the weld to trigger the hood, I use it when I'm working outside and it won't darken the lens even if you look directly at the sun (I'm in Florida mind you) but the second you spark, it's dark.

Actually, I only know the Titanium have it, I don't know about the other ones since I don't use them. But the T94 should have it.
                          if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

The DE and DI have the X mode, last year I bought the Lincoln 3350, it is nice but sold it to get the DE. Almost all of my welding is TIG and a fair amount of low amps (<60) and the x mode is the ticket for me.

The 3350 sometimes would not darken if the arc wasn't seen by the sensors, that's the only reason I sold it.
                            Richard
                            West coast of Florida

Comment

Makes sense, flashing can be a royal pain.

I love X-Mode, fantastic idea.
                              if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Working...
                              X