Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millermatic 141 sputters during vertical welds

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Millermatic 141 sputters during vertical welds

    So I have a Millermatic 141 that’s only a few months old and it’s got this problem of sputtering when I weld vertically. I was welding some angle iron yesterday and it laid down a nice bead on the horizontal part, but then when I transitioned to the vertical part, it started sputtering with really poor penetration. I am using the Auto Set for .024 if that makes a difference? Can you guys help? A welder this new shouldn’t be having these problems. I made sure I wasn’t stepping on the hose or otherwise kinking it in any way. Picture of the angle iron below, you can see the good bead and then the crappy one. Help?

  • #2
    What size of tubing?

    It would appear from your picture that you did not clean the mill scale off that joint.

    The problem you describe is not likely to be the fault of the machine. Poor ground, wrong settings, lack of shielding gas, incorrect travel angle or speed, contact tip to weld distance is incorrect....many things can cause your issue, but the machine is probably not broken. So that’s good news.

    Comment


    • #3
      It is 2x2 angle, ⅛” thick. Any idea what the problem is if it’s not the machine? Like I said, it welds great in horizontal.

      Comment


      • #4
        vertical up or vertical down? Try both. Vertical up is required for some jobs, but not most, and vertical down can be significantly easier as gravity works with your travel direction.

        Don't just do what the machine tells you. Experiment with wire feed speed as you weld.

        Comment


        • #5
          I usually weld vertical up.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            What size of tubing?

            It would appear from your picture that you did not clean the mill scale off that joint.

            The problem you describe is not likely to be the fault of the machine. Poor ground, wrong settings, lack of shielding gas, incorrect travel angle or speed, contact tip to weld distance is incorrect....many things can cause your issue, but the machine is probably not broken. So that’s good news.
            Everything said above. Plus some more heat would help...Bob
            Bob Wright

            Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
            http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

            Comment


            • #7
              Way back, when I was learning how to weld, I was complaining that there was something wrong with the machine, because I was frequently having trouble laying down good welds. The welding contractor who was teaching me would always say" It's not the welder, it's the weldor." Took me a while to figure out what he was talking about, but he was absolutely right.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post
                Way back, when I was learning how to weld, I was complaining that there was something wrong with the machine, because I was frequently having trouble laying down good welds. The welding contractor who was teaching me would always say" It's not the welder, it's the weldor." Took me a while to figure out what he was talking about, but he was absolutely right.
                I’m perfectly fine with it being my fault, I just wanna narrow down what it is I’m doing wrong.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Acooljt View Post

                  I’m perfectly fine with it being my fault, I just wanna narrow down what it is I’m doing wrong.
                  I understand completely. And don't think I was taking a jab at you, I wasn't. Just stating my own experience. Do you know anyone with welding experience that could come over and help you? That would make a world of difference.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why .024 wire?
                    Bob Wright

                    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post

                      I understand completely. And don't think I was taking a jab at you, I wasn't. Just stating my own experience. Do you know anyone with welding experience that could come over and help you? That would make a world of difference.
                      Not really. I had a welding mentor of sorts when I was younger but he has since passed away. The irony is, I’m a pro at stick welding, but MIG seems to give me fits.

                      Also, the reason I use .024 is that much of my welding is on thin sheet metal on cars, ⅛” is about the biggest I go. I just happen to be fabbing a welding table/cart for this project.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bob has a good point, more heat. Turn up the wfs.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X