in the market for new MIG machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in the market for new MIG machine

My Miller 175 MIG is 20 + years old. I am ready to upgrade to a new machine.

I build drag race cars using a mild steel range between .065 mild steel tubing to as much as 3/16 plate. Which new Miller MIG machine will fit my needs?

Certainly the 212 and 252 will do the job, At my local Miller authorized repair facility, the tech told me the 252 is a solid machine.

Depending on your budget the new Millermatic 255 with pulse capability sounds like a sweet machine. I see this machine currently has a rebate offer
    Last edited by Ltbadd; 01-12-2020, 12:56 PM.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Comment

The 212 will be plenty big for anything on a drag car, but going bigger is always good. Plus the 252 can run the day lights out of a spool gun.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        The 212 will be plenty big for anything on a drag car, but going bigger is always good. Plus the 252 can run the day lights out of a spool gun.
        What he said

Comment

uncrated, I saw the post about the TIG settings for the header project. I learned from some of the best and have met many others since then. Poor eye sight was one of the biggest reasons why TIG welding became a challenge. I meant no disrespect Sir by asking that question

Comment

Electric, all is OK. At age 73 you can surmise my eyes are not as bright as in my younger days. When welding on the bench, or in a good position in good light with my newest helmet I do OK. Out of position, in poor conditions, I struggle.

I do understand the TIG process is practice, practice, practice.

About a new MIG machine, my Miller 175 is high milage so I opted to buy a new machine. After lots of research I decided a Hobart Ironman 230 would be a good fit.

I will post my feedback after a time of usage.

Comment

That’s a very similar machine to the 212 anyway, so it’ll be plenty and parts are easy to get. It’s made by miller anyway.

One of the drag car guys I weld for has that machine in his shop. The only trouble we had with it the first one, right out of the box, let the smoke out as soon as we plugged it in. It went zzzzzziiiiiippppp POP....and little trail of smoke came out her hind end. We called Hobart, they said take it back to tractor to supply, if they won’t exchange it, call us while you’re there and make sure it’s taken care of. The second machine has been perfect.

Comment

Poor eye sight was one of the biggest reasons why TIG welding became a challenge. I meant no disrespect Sir by asking that question
                I have cheaters in my helmet. They clip in and magnify the weld joint.

I was wondering if a new mig is actually better than the old 175. Looking at the schematics for both machines, they're almost the same machine. They're both 30% duty cycles at 150 amps. Looks like the Hobart has more top end.

Comment

Working...
                X