Click image for larger version

Name:	1911 004.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	606024

Comment

Looks like a fun project.

Comment

It is a fun project Ryan. I chose a stainless steel version so that I could perform the changes without needing to replate everytime I made a change (or mistake)

Comment

That looks awesome! How did you get back to the original finish on the frame?

Comment

Good thinking.

Looks like you’re doing a really good job with it. There’s a guy on YouTube called mosinvirus that has several part videos on the 1911s he’s made. He does a really good job.

Comment

Originally posted by jjohn76 View Post
              That looks awesome! How did you get back to the original finish on the frame?
              The first revision (pictured) was sand blasted using a more aggressive media that appeared really dark. The second revision (not pictured) I changed to a finer media and it lightened up the finish a lot. When I say aggressive I mean aggressive in relation to the finer end of the scale. I'm currently working on a separate project that will be ceramic coated and the required grit for that application is around 200.
              To answer your question directly, I will sandblast the frame and slide taping/masking the flats of the slide. They will be finished to 1500 grit and then roughed out to a medium grit hand pad (scotch brite) for a straight and consistent grained finish.
              I plan to use 200 grit media to refinish this pistol to see what it looks like as a test. If I don't like it I will try a different grit.
              The ceramic coating I will be using is Cerekote. It's some seriously badass **** for those that don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                Good thinking.

Looks like you’re doing a really good job with it. There’s a guy on YouTube called mosinvirus that has several part videos on the 1911s he’s made. He does a really good job.
                If gun smithing were welding with car batteries and coat hangers
                CABOT GUNS would be tungsten inert gas welding 6al4v upside down with a mirror in zero gravity with both eyes closed

If you haven't seen "the big bang" I would suggest taking a close look at them.

Comment

Holy......

....wow.

Comment

Turned more slide material into chips today. I'm getting tired of the dovetails and the fitment of the sights. I might be at a point someday where I'll build up weld at both ends of the slide and machine billet sights on the darned thing...wrong forum for this, I'll stop now.

Name:	Overall 1911.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	606125

Name:	Front Serrations 1911.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	606126

Name:	Re-cut Front 1911.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	606127Click image for larger version

Name:	Drill Front Sight 1911.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	606128

Comment

You could one-up Cabot and make it out of unobtanium or nonexistium, but they’ve probably already done that too.

Comment

Working...
                      X