Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Craftsman Welder

Bjj
    Last edited by Choocher89; 01-15-2020, 01:23 PM.

See how a 6011 chooches.

It’s not uncommon for a rod to run poorly on AC if you’re not keeping a tight arc.

Is this a new to you machine? Has it been welding just fine and dandy up until now?

Comment

Is that a 110V welder? It might not have the juice to make the 6013 in 3/32 go smoothly. 5/32 takes even more amperage. 6011 3/32 should work like Ryan mentioned. Also, Home Depot has half length 1/16" 6013 rods (made by Lincoln) if you would rather use 6013 than 6011. I used them for tacking alot when I o/a weld tubing, the full length rods in 1/16" thickness shake too much at the tip for me to keep them steady without using my other hand to steer the rod mid way.

Comment

Last edited by Choocher89; 01-15-2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

A little 115v stick welder is good for keeping around to use if you’re planning to restore an old machine or other old iron. Not for welding, but for rust removal using electrolysis.

I don’t know enough about the guts and how it works to speak, but I can’t see anything that would make it pulse like that. John would be able to answer that with much more authority.

But like I said, it is not uncommon for stick welding on AC, especially at low amperage, to have what you describe as happening.

I also wouldn’t go any bigger than a 3/32 rod.

Comment

I couldn't think of much going wrong unless the transformer core halves shifted or something. To get 100 amps on a 115V circuit, it would have to be a fairly low open circuit voltage, which would probably cause the Arc to go out often and take time to reignite. Hobart also makes a 1/16" 6011 rod, but it's full length and shakes pretty bad at the end without stabilizing it half way with your other hand.

Comment

Okay thank you guys. Who’s John and how could I speak to him?

Comment

The welder says it has 22 Arc Volts. The model # is 110-104-114

Comment

Working...
                X