5 year old Syncrowave 210 worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    If you’re planning to weld with high or low speed pulse, no, PPS adjustment only is not enough. You need to be able to adjust the pulse on time and the back ground current to take full advantage of that setting. Other wise you can just pulse with the foot pedal. It’s not the same, but it’s close.

Any machine you buy used is a risk, inverter or transformer. It’s like an old truck vs a new truck. The new computerized transmission can leave you stranded, but so can an old manual tranny. One is a little more low-level-skilled-guy like me friendly, but there’s always the chance. With that in mind, ALL of my equipment except one inverter machine and my plasma cutter I got used. I have had to work on two of them, but they’re all good now.

I don’t like Eastwood, everlast, longevity or a few others, but honestly I only have negative experience with longevity (it’s junk and the service is awful). The rest are just based on stories I’ve heard from people I like.

I currently use miller, Lincoln and HTP machines just about daily and my setup works for me. I won’t hold it against you, or anyone, if you buy an everlast. I just hope it works out for you.

Be patient Joe, the right machine will pop up.
    ........yeah i went to the everlast site and something lacks about there machines, i will never buy an everlast.....i like the fact the syncrowave 210's lowest amp range is 5 amps......may never use it but its there if i do

thanks for the info.....i would love to get an htp 221 but im not that rich

Comment

I picked up a SW200 with 3.5 hours on it last summer for 1500. I’m happy with it. As someone said the small SW’s are hobby machines. It’s still a nice machine.

Comment

Originally posted by manac View Post
        I picked up a SW200 with 3.5 hours on it last summer for 1500. I’m happy with it. As someone said the small SW’s are hobby machines. It’s still a nice machine.
        thanks....

Comment

Any machine you buy used is a risk, inverter or transformer. It’s like an old truck vs a new truck.
          The difference is that I can get both manuals and parts at a reasonable price for a truck. For one of these welders, as the recent Dynasty 280 discussion helped reveal, when an inverter welder goes bad it might not be worth fixing, parts are exorbitantly expensive and there's no readily available documentation to allow you to fix it yourself. They wanted $3000 just to look at it. I got a transmission for my Lexus for $500 shipped to my door. The Dynasty 280 might need one of 3 boards costing as much as $1900. If US welder makers didn't gouge on their repair parts pricing, I'd be much more comfortable with a used machine.

Comment

Ya man, it’s crazy how expensive those boards can be. Fortunately I haven’t had anything like that happen....

Older machines, the parts can get pricey too, probably not as much as these apparently gold plated, diamond crusted boards like MK just mentioned, but that’s because they can be out of production and hard to find.

First time I heard about how expensive those boards can get for replacement parts I was floored.

Comment

Joe, the 210 I used fell on its face around 15 amps. New pedal and good connections. I wouldn't quote the specs from the manual before testing it out yourself.
              Honestly, good things come to those that wait. My final response to this is that you save that 1300 and shop around for something used in blue for 2-2500.
              happy hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
                Joe, the 210 I used fell on its face around 15 amps. New pedal and good connections. I wouldn't quote the specs from the manual before testing it out yourself.
                Honestly, good things come to those that wait. My final response to this is that you save that 1300 and shop around for something used in blue for 2-2500.
                happy hunting
                thanks.....been looking for like a year just to see whats out there and honestly there really isnt anything good out there but old broken down blue machines all dirty with broken knobs....lol

but i hear yeah .....

AHP is looking better and better !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ya man, it’s crazy how expensive those boards can be. Fortunately I haven’t had anything like that happen....

Older machines, the parts can get pricey too, probably not as much as these apparently gold plated, diamond crusted boards like MK just mentioned, but that’s because they can be out of production and hard to find.

First time I heard about how expensive those boards can get for replacement parts I was floored.
                  i talked to a company that fixes PC Boards and they said i would save 50-60% from new to have them fix them.....and they do welders

but thats still crazy money......

im just thinking down the road and the blue machine is still sitting in my garage working where an AHP is long gone

ill ask Jodi about his syncrowave 210......he used to have one or still does

Comment

im just thinking down the road and the blue machine is still sitting in my garage working where an AHP is long gone
                    Sure or you could be like the Dynasty 280 guy, 35 hours of welding, then it's dead. He paid $6000 or more for that machine. These days I think of welders like cell phones. Get one that's good enough, expect to replace it in 5 years with another cheap one. My math would be different if my job depended on it though. At the very least, I'd have a hot spare sitting there ready to go.

Comment

No need to buy a cart, the Syncrowave 210 gives you maximum portability with an EZ-Change™ low cylinder rack and built-in storage space to better manage your accessories and easily transport everything you need for your project.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterKwan View Post

Sure or you could be like the Dynasty 280 guy, 35 hours of welding, then it's dead. He paid $6000 or more for that machine. These days I think of welders like cell phones. Get one that's good enough, expect to replace it in 5 years with another cheap one. My math would be different if my job depended on it though. At the very least, I'd have a hot spare sitting there ready to go.
                        i always wonder why you never hear or see good welders for sale.......is it because they are that good or the owners are too embarrassed to admit they got burnt

Comment

i always wonder why you never hear or see good welders for sale
                          What I'm not clear on is whether they're unreliable but people aren't talking about it or are the broken ones we see here the expected exceptions and most are reliable. I just don't have a handle on it.

I offered a guy $50 for a broken Mig welder he was asking $400 for. $400 was a reasonable price for the same welder if it wasn't broken. I figured I could afford to lose $50 in case I couldn't fix it but I wasn't going to chance $400 on it. He said he'd rather part it out than sell it for $50. Like anyone would want parts from his lower end broken welder. My guess is it never sold. Maybe we don't see all the broken ones because people just have them stuck in the back room collecting dust.

Ebay has plenty of broken high end welders for sale for crazy prices. I wonder if they ever sell?

My local CL has a couple decent welder for sale for a decent price.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...049388809.html

Like this one. Doesn't seem like a crazy price.
                          Last edited by MasterKwan; 01-09-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

IIRC, the "Syncrowave" 210 is pretty wimpy in the duty cycle department...20% at 210A ... and 210 is wide-open. That's wimpier than the (transformer-based) Syncrowave 180.

Plus, it's an inverter.

For comparison, my Sync 250 goes up to 310A at 20% DC, and at 250A it has a 40% DC.

Maybe if it was offered at $400. At $1300 you should be able to buy a used REAL Syncrowave, not some lame inerter that can't even keep up with a Sync 180. $1300? No thanks. Though I give the seller an "A" for optimism!

Miller really mucked up the bed by labeling that machine a "Syncrowave." Talk about ruining the neighborhood...now when you say you have a Syncrowave, people will need to ask whether it's a real one or a wannabe lunchbox P.O.S. dispos-a-welder...kinda like pasting a Porsche badge on the Boxster...LOL
                            Last edited by Helios; 01-09-2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

What part of the world are you in Joe? You should be able to find a suitable used machine for much less.

Comment

What part of the world are you in Joe? You should be able to find a suitable used machine for much less.
                                im in maine

Comment

Working...
                                X