Oxy - propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxy - propane

What size cutting tip would you have in the torch for an automotive shop? Heating and cutting stubborn bolts and nuts. Exhaust, flanges and anything else that gets in the way. The two tip K am trying to choose between are sc40-0 and sc40-1. I am getting mixed opinions. What are your thoughts? Thank you.

Good question. Most of us don't have Miller/Smith torch equipment, but there might be a few. In addition to being a Victor man, I'm all acetylene. Over the years, I've learned I usually had a bigger tip than I really needed.

Comment

I have a WH-200 and use the MC40-0 tips in mine for my smaller projects, but since it sounds like you're demolition/dismantling parts where you're less concerned about cut quality, it seems like bigger would be better for that and heating. I haven't looked at the difference in fuel/oxy consumption between the two tips, is it significant?

Comment

Thank you for the responses. I forgot to mention the 0 tip is rated up to 3/8 and the 1 tip is good for 5/8.

Comment

Go bigger.

Comment

Going to go with the 1 tip. Thank you everyone.

Comment

Propane, this is also known as LPG—liquefied petroleum gas—or LP gas. And it is a widely used fuel. It is transported an stored as a very cold liquid, and can cause a “freeze burn” or frostbite if in contact with the skin.

Comment

And don’t try drinking it either. That’s a terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardParker View Post
                  Propane, this is also known as LPG—liquefied petroleum gas—or LP gas. And it is a widely used fuel. It is transported an stored as a very cold liquid....
                  In bulk, yes. At us end users, no. The liquid in our tanks is at ambient temperature.

Comment

Working...
                  X