xmt 304 Blew SR-1 varistor and plug needs to be replaced - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xmt 304 Blew SR-1 varistor and plug needs to be replaced - need help

I just got an xmt 304. it had a three phase plug. I hooked it up to my rotary phase converter and the unit powered up with no fault indications. I couldn't weld because i didn't have a torch. My torch arrived and i changed the plug to single phase. As soon as i flipped the on switch i heard a loud pop. I took the cover off and found one of the varistors on the SR-1 board burned right through one of the leads. There is also a 6 prong plug right next to the burned varistor. the plug got damaged. IDK if the plug shorted or the varistor shorted.
    Anyway, i ordered a new varistor. where can i get a new plug?
    also when i replace the varistor is there a polarity?
    Anyone have any idea why this could have happened? three phase seemed fine, single phase blew up. I might also have fried the main disconnect switch. it seems to not work smoothly now. Thanks in advance for any help.

First place to look is how the new input power plug was wired. Next is the Auto-Link circuit that handles the incoming power.

You just got it, but from what source? KNOWN to be welding just fine before you got it?
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-01-2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

not known whether the unit worked or not. i was looking at the machine all day. i found that the furnas auxiliary contactor was stuck. I freed it up and got the welder to turn on using 3 phase power. I haven't tried striking an arc yet. maybe tomorrow

Comment

Do you need the socket or the plug? I have an extra input protection board with the socket I can send you.
        Last edited by jjohn76; 01-02-2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

thanks John i need the six pin socket. How much do you want for the board? This is the board with all the red varistors on it correct?

Comment

Just send me a PM with your address. It's what is left of that board ... Which contactor was stuck? Was it the left or right one? I had the left one stuck, which is the 460V one and basically connects. The rectified + and - of the DC bus when the right one clicks on. Fortunately, I had light bulbs in series with my input lines (cheap short/surge limiter/detector) and caught it before it did major damage.

Comment

PM sent to JOHN

Comment

Should be there by Monday. Hopefully those new contactors fit. The replacement ones I received were too wide for the model I had (LJ if I remember right).

Comment

Thank you SIR!

Comment

Working...
                  X