No announcement yet.

Powcon welder experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did you like about the 400SMT over the 300SM? I think it adds a scratch start Tig setting and has adjustable hot start, and maybe better thermal control/monitoring?

Comment

Its a power source for everything, not a mig machine that wants to be a tig welder too. I need a portable machine for stick and tig, but if I can add a feeder and have another mig in the shop, that fits my needs perfect. My shop is small and ever expanding in capabilities. Space is a premium and I’m about to add a Bridgeport.

Comment

I think either can do it for you. A voltage sensing feeder simplifies the compatibility issues with the power supply. I fixed a buddy's 400SMT and while he's looking for the crazy POWCON feeder with all the gadgets, I have it running for him on a S-32P that he bought at an auction for less than dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          Its a power source for everything, not a mig machine that wants to be a tig welder too. I need a portable machine for stick and tig, but if I can add a feeder and have another mig in the shop, that fits my needs perfect. My shop is small and ever expanding in capabilities. Space is a premium and I’m about to add a Bridgeport.
          I use an Air Products feeder on my 300sm but IT HAS TO BE HOOKED UP RIGHT! My sharp friend thought he knew how to do it on the 400 sm but blew the board! Another side note is the 300sm never would weld solid wire but thru a recent big misunderstanding with my salesman he ended up bringing a spool of Hyundai solid wire. When I seen how different it welded I had to try it on the Powcon , made a solid wire welding animal out it.So of course had to try it with the old Airco PA-3A pulse welder that always threw gobs of spatter when tried with solid wire, same results as Powcon. Then had to try it with the thermal Arc 300 Gms that would just spit, sputter and stub wire trying to start an arc with solid wire, yup another solid wire animal.

Comment

And what wire is this? I’m interested. My plan is to run solid wire in one machine, .035, and dual shield in the other, .045.

I don’t know enough about mix matching gadgets to take that risk, so I’d probably just get the Powcon feeder. There’s a combo on eBay now for a good price, but it’s the SM. I really want some that will tig, life arc at least.

Comment

I am not sure if the 400SMT lift arcs, the one I have in the shop has a "scratch-lift" start setting. If I get a chance, I'll test to see how it starts. That's interesting about the 300SM and 300 GMS solid wire, especially the GMS. I remember there is a spray only knob on the 300SM and it had an inductance knob for the short arc mig setting. My 400 GMS runs solid pretty cleanly.
              Last edited by jjohn76; 01-03-2020, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200102_181439814.jpg
Views:	1895
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	605763 ​​​​​I just checked the SMT 400 with Tig. The tungsten sticks when I try to lift arc like with my TA 400GMS, but is very easy to scratch start. I wouldn't think scratch vs lift start matters, though any pedal you find may need a new plug to work with the 400 SMT remote.

Comment

What’s the difference between the two CV settings?

It would appear that machine does not have a lift arc function. Really not a whole lot of difference between the two, lift arc is just a bit cleaner and if the machine has flow through function for the torch, the lift arc feature should start the gas flow.

I really don’t know as much as I’d like about these machines. I’ve seen an attachment that is a tig function controller. Had adjustments for gas flow and pulse on it too. But like I said, I need more info to speak with much confidence. I’ve always found these machines to be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    And what wire is this? I’m interested. My plan is to run solid wire in one machine, .035, and dual shield in the other, .045.

I don’t know enough about mix matching gadgets to take that risk, so I’d probably just get the Powcon feeder. There’s a combo on eBay now for a good price, but it’s the SM. I really want some that will tig, life arc at least.
                    Had to check this morning to be sure I was remembering right. Hyundai 70 SM.

Comment

Awesome. Thank you. I sent an email to their sales folks to have a rep contact me.

Comment

I have only worked on/with POWCON Plus (welder and plasma cutter), the 300ST, 200SM, 300SM, 300SS, and 400 SMT, and know there are a ton of variants and accessories out there, but here is what I remember. That Tig Pulser you found sounds very interesting, was it for the 400SMT?

​​​​The 300ST was the only one I had with a gas solenoid in it, and it had the arc starter as well. I almost bought a Tig Pulser for it, which basically plugged in line with the pedal. I have seen slopers for it too, and thought maybe it would be worth building something like those for my Dynasty DX, until I sold the Dynasty to buy the Power Wave 355M, TA Pro Wave 300, and two TA 400GMS welders - it's amazing how well the Miller welders keep their value over the other brands...

The 300SS only allowed for output power adjustment (it had a constant output power instead of constant current or constant voltage). I can't remember if mine had a remote connector or not for a pedal or voltage sensing feeder (remote power and contactor), but think it did. Interesting, Lincoln now has an advanced "power" setting that improves some mig welding procedures. I learned to stick and scratch Tig with it until I found a 300ST that needed fixing. I am not experienced enough on the operator side to know how well the 300SS handled mig, short or spray.

The 200SM/300SM (200 is single phase only and the inverter circuit is double the frequency) doesn't have a gas solenoid, which would be in the feeder. The two mig settings are for short arc and spray arc. The spray arc has little inductance, which basically changes the output current very fast to keep a constant voltage - which is why it would spatter with short arc. The short mig setting let you adjust inductance, which basically limits how fast the current changes to keep a voltage. More inductance should cause it sputter less and wet in more. The GMS has that setting too. The PA-3A was built for pulsed spray aluminum and has a very low output inductance to do that, which is probably why it sputtered with short arc solid. Lars, did you adjust the inductance settings in the past? I don't have enough operator experience to tell how much it changes the weld puddle. I think that control also adjusts dig control on stick, but haven't messed with it. I have a pulser for the SM, which works in line with the feeder, and isn't adaptive control like the Miller Optima pendants that measure weld voltage to adjust current. I haven't messed with the pulser yet, just have it in case I finish the other welder projects.

The POWCON Plus (225 SMC or something like that, I can't remember the model off the top of my head). Worked like the 300, except had a couple relays on the output side that could switch between the weld output circuit and a voltage doubler circuit (basically doubled the 80V open circuit weld voltage to 160V open circuit plasma cutter voltage) for plasma cutting. It had an arc start on the plasma side too.

The 400SMT is new to me other than getting it running just recently. It has more bells and whistles like hot start control for stick, a lift-scratch start setting, and the same inductance control for mig/ dig control for stick welding. I could never had an issue with hot start on scratch Tig on the 300SS, but the 400SMT has a built-in hot start to prevent electrode sticks. I think the 400SMT turns off the hot start for the lift-scratch Tig. It was really easy to scratch start compared to what I remember from the 300SS, and it only has about 5V on the output in lift-scratch, much like my 400 GMS. The 400SMT has a different remote connector that I haven't yet researched to build a remote cable. As Lars mentioned, it's easy to fry a 24V feeder (the 300SMs work with 24V feeders) with the 400SMT because it outputs 30VAC and 115VAC on the remote receptacle. I don't know if the 24V feeders are built to handle the 30V AC input, so if I ever need to get a 24V feeder to work with the 400 SMT, I'll just use a 120V/24V transformer powered from the 115V circuit. The POWCON PD-I/E feeder that mounts on top of the power supply has a transformer inside, whoever wires it up just needs to make sure the pins are right between the 400 SMT and PDI/E. The only issues I had with the POWCON feeders is finding the drive rollers. I think there are some rollers from other machines (can't remember which off the top.of my head) that fit, but I ultimately just contacted Mike (tech support expert at Arcon), who occasionally puts in bulk orders for the rollers from some swedish company.

Sorry for the long message and posting red info on a blue site, but I can't figure out how to get my forgotten password for weldingweb and it looks like a lot of folks here use blue, red, maroon, and yellow/green.
                        Last edited by jjohn76; 01-03-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I’m glad you brought up the drove roll thing, I was thinking about that the other day, just hadn’t got around to calling arcon.

Comment

Ryan, best of luck on that eBay one it looks to be in great shape. It has the PDII drive, and just looking at the drawings in the manual, those rollers look like the older Hobart or Thermal Arc roller drive (the knobs on the front panel are the same ones Hobart used at the time). Those could be the two piece (Beta Mig and Hobart Portafeed/Hefty used them) or single piece rollers (my Thermal Arc Portafeed and Hefty have them). The two piece are very difficult to source, and the one piece ones are a little easier. It may be worth asking the seller to take a pic of the inside of the feeder box to see what kind of rolls it takes.
                            Jon

Comment

I’m not biding on that one. I asked the seller a question early on and he never responded, so I don’t want to risk my money with him. I’ll just be patient. That machine would work fine as I could just use a scratch start rig to tig with, but it’s not exactly what I’m looking for. In my experience it’s often time best to hold out and be patient, the right deal will pop up.

You seem to know more about these machines than anyone I’ve ever talked to.

Comment

I have spent quite some time tinkering with those machines. You can probably guess, but my project/hobby space is with broken and mismatched welding/plasma cutting systems, and fixing them more than welding with them. Those POWCONs are great, but hard to find replacement components that fit in the original space (SCRs and capacitors, capacitors being the most common issue I have seen). If you can hold out, an XMT 304, Thermal Arc 400 GMS or Lincoln V350 Pro may be a better way to go, at least from what I have rebuilt. OEM parts (Sanrex Mitsubishi/Powerex) and schematics are available for the XMT 304, and everything else I have been able to rebuild or get from a circuit board company. The Thermal Arc 400 GMS doesn't have schematics and the front panel is a bear to troubleshoot (small surface mount components), but doable. They're also getting up there in age and should have the capacitors replaced if you get one, which isn't as easy as unscrewing and replacing the ones on POWCONs, XMT, or Invertec. I'll write up what I can when I get to the Thermal Arc 400 GMS and Pro-Wave 300 TSW. I'll do the same with the power wave 355M (same power components/layout as Inverter V350Pro) stuff when I can get to fixing it. The Power Wave 355M needs the wire feeder to work at all, so the V350 Pro is a better way to go, though you're paying for that high duty cycle over the XMT or TA 400GMS. I just never see broken V350s for sale and that was the first Power Wave 355M. That's probably saying something in itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X