No announcement yet.

Powcon welder experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like inverter machine because of the light weight and power efficiency. On the other hand, they seem like BMW's. Not something you want to own out of warranty. I'm tempted to buy cheaper, older inverter machines but they all seem one component failure away from "not worth fixing".

Comment

Man, you got that right. Most of my stuff is used junk, but it’s all used transformer junk that will probably still chooch long after I’m gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        A rugged machine that can stick, tig and gouge that’s still small enough to carry around is perfect for my needs.
        Good luck with that!

Gouging with a lunchbox welder...I don't care who ya are, that right there is just FUNNY!

If you find one, look around and see if you can find me a 400hp diesel engine I can put on my mini bike.
        Last edited by Helios; 12-18-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

A rugged machine that can stick, tig and gouge that’s still small enough to carry around is perfect for my needs
          Lincoln has the V350Pro which can do all of that. Ebay is full of them but you're back to risking buying a broken machine. It's 90 lbs though so only sorta portable. Portable enough if you use a hand truck I guess. It works either single or 3 phase with no de-rating. They sell a gas solenoid kit for it for $153.

Comment

I didn't think many, if any, inverters are recommended for gouging. Other than that, I have done the rest with them. The POWCONs aren't too difficult to troubleshoot, but sourcing replacement parts is tough, even if looking for comparable replacements.

Comment

You don’t think a 300 amp machine is big enough for CAG, Helios?

I never heard that inverter machines shouldn’t be used for gouging, so I guess that’s out if that’s the case.

The machine I was looking at weighs 70lbs, so that’s not so bad. And by portable I mean by hand truck of less. I have a maxstar 150sth now, it welds really nice and weighs 11lbs. Is like to have something bigger and certainly more rugged. I have used plenty of cutting and gouging rod, like the Metal Mover brand, that little maxstar can’t come close to pushing that stuff, even in a 1/8”, and I prefer to use 5/32”.

These machines have always interested me, so I’ll just be patient and wait for the right deal.

Comment

I didn't think many, if any, inverters are recommended for gouging.
                The one I mentioned specifically mentions gouging as a feature. It's rated at something like 425 amps.

5-425 amp output range - For all recommended processes from DC TIG to arc gouging.
                The advanced versions will do mig pulse too through a wire feeder.

Comment

I was looking at the manual for a 400MST and it lists CAG as one of the processes on its control panel. So it’s probably a fancy special setting built into the machine since other models don’t specifically list it.

I’ll take a look at that Lincoln one too.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    You don’t think a 300 amp machine is big enough for CAG, Helios?
                    Maybe for gouging sheet metal, but I've never really heard of gouging sheet metal.

Only gouging I've ever done was with 600A...and the welding machines we daisy-chained to do that might have been inerters, but they definitely were NOT mine! (I can't afford the Magic Smoke seals.)

Comment

Ya that’s pretty big gouging to be running at 600amps. I wouldn’t need to be near that. Even the smaller bobcats can gouge, so that can’t be more then 225-250 amps. But you’re definitely right about gouging sheet metal....although it may be fun to see someone try.

Comment

Probably have 200+ hrs. of gouging holders off rota mill drums with my 300SM. Being it was all night work following the rota mill crew around I bought the Pow Con in 84-85 to run off the 3 phase generator side of my old Hobart 300 portable so we could also have lights.

Comment

Great info, thanks!

Comment

Strange thing about this forum, as soon as someone posts about an inverter machine, a broken one pops up in my possession... I see why the Invertec V350Pro have such a high duty cycle - they have four massive input capacitors, and they are neither common (M6 threaded) nor cheap. My Power Wave 355M checked out everywhere except some telltale fluid marks on a couple of those capacitors. The capacitors cost me more than twice what I paid for the machine and feeder. We'll see how it goes. It's in the queue with a TA 300TSW, TA 400GMS, POWCON 400SMT, and POWCON 300SM. Too many projects...

Comment

Sorry I steered you wrong on gouging with inverters.

Comment

Nah, don’t sweat that.

I didn’t get that machine because, in my research of their machines, I ground what I think fits my needs better. Which is the 400 SMT. Most I’ve seen are the 400 or 300 S, SM or ST. I’d also like to get a feeder for it.

Pretty wild that one landed in your lap though.

Comment

Working...
                                X