Powcon welder experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powcon welder experience

Any you guys have experience to offer on Powcon welders?

I have 30 years and have quite a bit of used parts is this a 300 SM

Comment

It’s a 400ss. Wires for 3ph but it looks like there is a procedure to swap jumpers for 1ph.

Comment

My dad still has my old 300 SM. Like the 400 series, it is also jumper-changeable from 3-phase to single-phase.

Comment

The whistlers. They were a solid machine. Great technology for the time.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250
          Miller Bobcat 250
          Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
          Torchmate CNC table

Comment

I heard something about them making a noise when they were on and that meant you knew it was working right. Any truth to that? It could be a really good addition to my arsenal. Fill a gap in my portable capabilities at least. Could use it to gouge too I figure.

Comment

Yeah, they are high-pitched whining SOBs.

Comment

My 300 SM squeals like a pig when welding at high amps with dual shield.

Comment

you only have to relink for input voltage you just have to drop I wire not sure witch one it has been a while it if you drop the wrong it wont hurt the unit.

Comment

I’ve read two different things on changing voltage. The book for the machine says there are three places inside that need to be changed from 3 to 1 phase. Then I read another bit about what you said, drop the red wire, black and white to hot, green to neutral, done. Arcon says they don’t offer any service, just keep the old stuff up on their site as a courtesy to those with the old machines.

Comment

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...2&postcount=23

Comment

It looks like you already have a link to the manual. You just need to confirm it is set up for the right voltage - either 230V or 460V available. The three jumpers locations inside change for the voltage only. One at the back inside , one at the front inside ,Ift and one jumper location on the right circuit board (if you're looking at the front control panel). Once voltage is right, you only need to tape back the red wire for single phase. The fan runs on power up, and they tick at idle. They will squeal higher pitch as they put out more juice. They're great, though tough to find the components.

Comment

That guy has the absolute worst luck, Helios.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            That guy has the absolute worst luck, Helios.
                            Seems like his main problem was the people fixing his gear. It should be possible to repair a machine up to good as new. The people doing the repairs apparently weren't up to snuff.

Comment

I think I’m going to pass on this machine until I learn more about them. There seems to be a few running around. The only one I’ve seen in person was in the back shop of the guy that does my water jet cutting. I tried to buy it off him and he said he would never sell that machine and it was in fact the only thing he way taking with him when he retired.

A rugged machine that can stick, tig and gouge that’s still small enough to carry around is perfect for my needs. Because of that trait I heard they were very popular in ship yards.

I can’t justify buying a new arcon model, but they look pretty much the same, just a different color and probably updated a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X