Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum mig

Found some answers! Thanks!
    Last edited by Motoringmike; 12-15-2019, 03:53 PM.

Happy to help.

Comment

_42_

Comment

That is the answer.

Comment

Here’s my original question. If anyone has answers I’d love to Know!!

Good day! I’m looking to weld some larger aluminum projects and was wondering what kind of aluminum mig options are out there for my Dynasty 280 dx welder with the Extreme 12vs suitcase mig addition. Looking to weld 3/8” and possibly 1/2” material along with aluminum HSS tubing. Thanks!!

Comment

I wouldn't even bother trying, its not going to work well at all. Better to get some helium argon mix and use your tig welder as a tig welder.
            www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
            Miller extreme 12vs
            Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
            Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Material thicknesses like that are usually because it needs to be strong. I don't think you want to sacrifice the joint quality. If this is a paying project, invest in a bigger machine.

Comment

That Dynasty supports pulse, correct? If yes it will work OK, the biggest issue with MIG welding aluminum is keeping the heat right. Without preheating it goes too cold->just right->too hot pretty quickly, with preheating it'll go just right->too hot. Pulse will help keep the temperature in the just right area longer. I don't know if you can put a spoolgun on the 12VS, if you can I would go that route. I've MIG welded aluminum with a Teflon liner and while it works, you've got to keep the gun cable very straight because the slightest restriction can cause the wire to bunch up at the rollers. Do you have a lot of aluminum welding to do? Unless there's a lot of production, I would second the suggestion to just TIG it instead, you've certainly got a good machine for the TIG option.

Comment

The pulse settings are for Tig not mig. About all you can do is put the machine on stick dcep and use the 12vs on cc mode. You'll need a teflon liner as stated. Its really not going to work well if it even works at all. You have a great tig machine but its just that, not a mig welder. If you dont have a ton to do then you could just use the tig welder. With some preheat and helium mix you should be able to get by. If you have a lot to do then you really need something like a millermatic 350p, lincoln power mig 350mp etc.
                  www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
                  Miller extreme 12vs
                  Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
                  Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Originally posted by Willvis View Post
                    The pulse settings are for Tig not mig. About all you can do is put the machine on stick dcep and use the 12vs on cc mode. You'll need a teflon liner as stated. Its really not going to work well if it even works at all. You have a great tig machine but its just that, not a mig welder. If you dont have a ton to do then you could just use the tig welder. With some preheat and helium mix you should be able to get by. If you have a lot to do then you really need something like a millermatic 350p, lincoln power mig 350mp etc.
                    Miller makes a Dynasty 280 with the mig feature now.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                    X