Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Tack, you are correct.

MasterKwan, you are spot on with the pulse mig as understand the operation as well.

AlphaBob, increase your WFS and practice. Pulse mig is an incredibly versatile process.
    Thanks Ryan, I'm like a country bumpkin lawyer, I get things right by keeping things simple and letting MIT experts dwell on things I don't need to know and that put my mind in a fog.

Comment

I was going to leave this topic alone because of the walls of relatively unrelated text. I will suggest that treating pulse like spray is a mistake. While the beads look the same, pulse is really a unique process that only vaguely maps to spray.

Comment

I’ve been rather impressed with the pulse technology to be honest. Even pulse stick welding is impressive. As has been said before, it’s not magic but in the right application, man it’s dadgum nice. The next wire machine I buy will definitely have pulse capability.

Comment

That's a fair bit of welder for someone new to welding. A bit like learning to drive with a Ferrari. Anyways the pulse program is synergic so if your bead is too tall, lacks fusion, etc you probably just need to turn up the wire feed speed a bit. Its not likely you need to play with the trim or whatever millers word for that is (the voltage), what that will do is adjust your arc length but shouldn't change the bead too much. I only really use mine on aluminum but 90% of the time I leave it on the factory setting and its good. There's time that I will turn the trim way down if I want to really drive the wire into the puddle but thats about it.
          www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
          Miller extreme 12vs
          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
          Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Had some modest success today thanks to all the good comments! Practicing on 2" square 11 gauge tube and probably my biggest challenges during the earlier [less successful] attempts were: (1) The Tweco Classic No 4 Gun has a screw-on insulator that supports the nozzle - it was unscrewed about half way which made the nozzle very floppy; (2) my CTWD was way too close so the machine effectively goes into short circuit transfer and generally makes a mess; and probably caused my burn back; the Lincoln Procedures were very helpful (I'm using the same wire as tackit), and (3) wire speed was too low.

Minor clarification and I probably did a poor job describing my situation - I've been welding for a while, just never got particularly good - what we used to call a farmer / welder when I was a kid - they don't come apart, but they ain't pretty. Pulse is what is entirely new to me and I am having trouble getting good information on pulse on steel. Discovering pulse on steel has been like the scene in the movie The Jerk when Steve Martin hears the blues and discovers his rhythm!

I've got a ways to go before I can produce welds like this consistently, but its a start! Thanks again! As always comments, criticism, and suggestions are welcome.
            Last edited by AlphaBob; 12-14-2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Looks good but maybe travel a bit quicker, your weld is bigger then it needs to be. Are you just practicing though? because there is no real reason to run pulse on 1/8. The main reason to run pulse would be to weld thicker (1/4" plus) material out of position. Pulse lets you maintain a spray transfer while lowering the overall heat input. It basically allows the puddle that split second to freeze a bit so it doesn't droop on you when your doing put of position welds
              www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
              Miller extreme 12vs
              Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
              Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

I know exactly what you mean with the tweco gun. I took a few real thin strands of wire and laid them in the threads of that insulator, helped snug it up so it stopped playing its little game.

Comment

Working...
                X