The Killing of Charlie Storms: The Birth of Modern Body Armor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Killing of Charlie Storms: The Birth of Modern Body Armor

An Interesting article for gangbangers and welders who run side grinders and chop saws. I'm wondering if wearing silk T-shirts would protect a fabricator/welder from exploding grinder wheels, mini grinder wheels, and chop saw wheels? You can Google to find graphic examples of wounds caused by exploding grinding discs and wheels. Perhaps a study should be encouraged in the viability of silk work T-shirts preventing or at least lessening the seriousness of wounds caused by exploding wheels.

I know someone who had a mini grinder's disc explode and tear through his work shirt and T-shirt and lodge beneath the skin on his belly, he was sent to the emergency room to get his wound treated and given a tet**** shot.

The Killing of Charlie Storms: The Birth of Modern Body Armor

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/t...by-luke-short/

That was a very interesting read Tackit. Guess that explains gangsters and silk shirts?

Comment

Made mucho dinero back in the 60s because I understood sail effect when flying objects hit cloth and an 18" square of linen would drop a .45 bullet. Higher speed rounds get a bit more tricky as do exploding bottles of beer.

Silk offers some benefit by being slippery so it can be in a wadded configuration at impact and unwad where cotton or other fabrics can't expand surface area to act as a sail. Synthetics get iffy fast given they will melt and weld as well.

Silk was probably a contributor to developing Kevlar which stretches without rebounding in a manner similar to styrofoam inside a helmet.

NO, sail effect won't work for s#!t with .22, .357 and 9mm.

Comment

Glad you like the article Noel and Franz, it's kind of interesting how some people are able to see thing Click image for larger version  Name:	bw2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	228.5 KB ID:	605014 s others can't. A t-shirt wouldn't have be made of all silk, just cover the front of one.

I wonder silk would stop a 475 Line bough
        Last edited by tackit; 12-03-2019, 01:51 AM.

Comment

That's a mighty fine looking piece of hardware. Shiny Black and so smooth. She's a pretty one . Does she have a name? I'm only guessing but I bet it leaves a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
            That's a mighty fine looking piece of hardware. Shiny Black and so smooth. She's a pretty one . Does she have a name? I'm only guessing but I bet it leaves a hole.
            Noel, it's called the Ultimate Black Widow, it's a custom gun built on a Ruger Vaquero frame by an Arizona gun builder by the name of Gary Reeder, she leaves a big hole.
            Last edited by tackit; 12-03-2019, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
              NO, sail effect won't work for s#!t with .22, .357 and 9mm.
              ...nor any centerfire rifle. Speed kills!

Comment

The guys in plumbing shop at the beer foundry had 3 days of entertainment watching Enginincompoops fling everything from hardware to hunks of broken beer bottles at a few prototype safety curtains. Generation 1 was a 5x6 hunk of burlap from a hops bail wrapper.

Das Austrian Engineer who bellowed across the shop "Prove it" when I said a curtain had STOP power and the idiot who designed the oscillating warehouse cut their fingers to s#!t slingshotting glass. While they did I cut side deals with a short run shop to construct frames and an awning shop to sew a rod pocket across the top. After all there was a second beer foundry in town, and a baby food factory, and a sauce factory all with exploding bottles. The world was a profitable place before OSHA when Insurance carriers set standards.
                We even had Ruby Process to build water slide decals saying anything you desired.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post

Noel, it's called the Ultimate Black Widow, it's a custom gun built on a Ruger Vaquero frame by an Arizona gun builder by the name of Gary Reeder, she leaves a big hole.
                  It is a beautiful gun. That's got gun ***y all over it. Maybe you guys who get this regular it doesn't make your willy wiggle I don't know? I see Gary had a vision with that gun. I'm not a gun guy per say, but if the laws here were different, I'd want to own that gun and display her proudly as money well spent.

Comment

...I wonder silk would stop a 475 Line bough
                    Well, the silk wasn't stopping the bullet, but just not letting the bullet go through it. The bullet was wrapping itself into the silk, taking it with it into the tissue. In the case of the weaker bullet, pulling the silk pulled the bullet back out of the now much more survivable wound. In the case of the .475 Linebaugh, assuming the silk could still stay together, the bullet would take the silk with it completely through the body, and probably through the block wall behind it, too.
                    Last edited by MAC702; 12-04-2019, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I imagine it looks like a sewer pipe from the business end.

Comment

It is a beautiful gun. That's got gun ***y all over it. Maybe you guys who get this regular it doesn't make your willy wiggle I don't know? I see Gary had a vision with that gun. I'm not a gun guy per say, but if the laws here were different, I'd want to own that gun and display her proudly as money well spent.
                        I like guns, to me they are mechanical pieces of art. I keep my guns locked up in an expensive gun case, I couldn't live with myself if one of my guns were stolen and it was used to take an innocent man's life, I think I'm right when I say most gun owners feel the same way. Today life is cheap is what the problem is, and murders don't get the electric chair anymore. Cell phones' parents buy for their kids are more dangerous for them than a gun which is stored away properly is.

Comment

If guns kill people, then I have a safe full of defective firearms and I want a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            If guns kill people, then I have a safe full of defective firearms and I want a refund.
                            That's a clever saying Ryan, accurate too.

Comment

... I keep my guns locked up in an expensive gun case, I couldn't live with myself if one of my guns were stolen and it was used to take an innocent man's life, I think I'm right when I say most gun owners feel the same way. Today life is cheap is what the problem is, and murders don't get the electric chair anymore. Cell phones' parents buy for their kids are more dangerous for them than a gun which is stored away properly is.
                              I take security seriously, and have never had a firearm stolen, but I also see it pragmatically. The firearm is still just a tool. Many more people are murdered with blunt objects like hammers than with rifles and shotguns. As long as I'm not throwing guns in the front yard for the kids to play with, my conscious is clean if someone BREAKS INTO my home or vehicle and gets a gun/hammer/computer/car and uses it in a crime. The world is sick and there is just only so much you can do to be a good guy and hope to get through it.

I hear that in Canada that if you shoot the man that broke into your home to rape you, that it's pretty much proof to be used against you that your firearm wasn't locked up far enough away from you to be legally stored. Okay, maybe not that bad....

Comment

Working...
                              X