Trailblazer 251

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailblazer 251

I recently acquired a 1997 Trailblazer 251 with only 880 hours, and it came with 100-foot leads, a TIG torch w/torch-mounted current control, and a Thermal Arc Porta-Feed 17a wire feeder. I had to replace the stick electrode holder and the LC-10 plug that was on the work clamp, but otherwise, this machine is in excellent condition, and I couldn't be happier with it.

I have a couple of questions that don't seem to be covered by the manual:

1. To run the wire feeder, it seems I need to have the switch in the "Run" position, rather than the "Run/Idle" position, otherwise squeezing the trigger on the gun won't start feeding and welding. However, it seems that, if I have the wire feed speed set high enough, it will. This suggests to me that there's a minimum amount of current that needs to be drawn through the remote control 115v pin, to trigger the run-up to operating RPM. Is this threshold adjustable? Why wouldn't Miller just use the contact closure to bring the engine up to speed?
    2. The exhaust is a little bit louder than I'd like, and I was wondering if there are aftermarket mufflers available to quiet it down a bit. I realize that it's a small engine, and it's naturally going to be pretty loud, but it would be nice if there was a way to make it a bit more friendly to my ears.

#2- Click image for larger version

Name:	16427649_10208191994823791_311296536389859437_n.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	604997 That does include making things quiet. Know anyone who owned a Harley, they must have taken off chrome sound compressors? Where there's a will there is a way.

Comment

I'm sure I could make something, but space is limited inside the cover of the machine, and if there was already something available on the market, I'd rather just spend the money, if it wasn't ridiculous.

Comment

There is no extra quiet muffler made. If you make something to add on, you will find that a large portion of what you are hearing is engine noise rather that exhaust noise. As far as feeders, I use a voltage sensing feeder rather than a remote feeder, so mine revs up when I attach the sense line.

Comment

Originally posted by elkvis View Post
          I recently acquired a 1997 Trailblazer 251 with only 880 hours, and it came with 100-foot leads, a TIG torch w/torch-mounted current control, and a Thermal Arc Porta-Feed 17a wire feeder. I had to replace the stick electrode holder and the LC-10 plug that was on the work clamp, but otherwise, this machine is in excellent condition, and I couldn't be happier with it.

I have a couple of questions that don't seem to be covered by the manual:

1. To run the wire feeder, it seems I need to have the switch in the "Run" position, rather than the "Run/Idle" position, otherwise squeezing the trigger on the gun won't start feeding and welding. However, it seems that, if I have the wire feed speed set high enough, it will. This suggests to me that there's a minimum amount of current that needs to be drawn through the remote control 115v pin, to trigger the run-up to operating RPM. Is this threshold adjustable? Why wouldn't Miller just use the contact closure to bring the engine up to speed?
          2. The exhaust is a little bit louder than I'd like, and I was wondering if there are aftermarket mufflers available to quiet it down a bit. I realize that it's a small engine, and it's naturally going to be pretty loud, but it would be nice if there was a way to make it a bit more friendly to my ears.
          I would check with the engine manufacturer before installing a muffler, you may affect carburation if you add back-pressure from a muffler, a good set of earplugs would be less work, for around the house buy a used stick machine.

Comment

Working...
          X