325 trailblazer excel plug no power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 325 trailblazer excel plug no power.

i own a 325 trailblazer with efi and excel power, some time ago the excel power plug went cold. i never bothered with it because it's not something i really need and i hadn't planned on selling the machine. things have changed and now i own a new TB and i'll be out of this game before the warranty expires

so, i contacted miller support and one of their tech people gave me detailed info on what to check out. i did what i could (CB5 breaker and fuses) then discovered that an excel module retails for $950.00 at miller for less. #247666?. ok, that is not going to happen... ever. that actually translates into about 550 gallons of gas when you factor in labor.

i emailed the tech and he says i can remove the plug and use an off the shelf duplex receptacle in it's place. that's the route i am taking.

i wanted to see the wiring of the two outlets so i took a couple of pictures; in the photo, the excel
    outlet is on the right. i had taken a couple of other shots trying to get a better image. in the one on the left i noticed the discoloration of the yellow whatever it is at the bottom of the outlet and upon closer inspection i saw that the adhesive is melted away as well; however that outlet (the 110) works fine.

my question is; does that appear to be a short and if so could it be the cause of the excel plug having no power? any opinions welcome.

i bought my first TB around thirty years ago so take note any future buyers, the age of T poles is gone and generally there is, at least for me, power everywhere i go. i like the EFI but the fact is i have used TB's in the summer in bullhead city, az and upstate maine in the dead of winter and having to pull a choke was not a problem.

thanks for looking.
    Last edited by lonewelder; 11-29-2019, 02:11 PM.

Originally posted by lonewelder View Post
    i own a 325 trailblazer with efi and excel power, some time ago the excel power plug went cold. i never bothered with it because it's not something i really need and i hadn't planned on selling the machine. things have changed and now i own a new TB and i'll be out of this game before the warranty expires

so, i contacted miller support and one of their tech people gave me detailed info on what to check out. i did what i could (CB5 breaker and fuses) then discovered that an excel module retails for $950.00 at miller for less. #247666?. ok, that is not going to happen... ever. that actually translates into about 550 gallons of gas when you factor in labor.

i emailed the tech and he says i can remove the plug and use an off the shelf duplex receptacle in it's place. that's the route i am taking.

i wanted to see the wiring of the two outlets and took a couple of pictures; the excel outlet is on the left. i had taken a couple of other shots trying to
    get a better image and one of them is the second pic below. on that one i noticed the discoloration of the yellow whatever it is at the bottom of the standard 110 outlet and upon closer inspection i saw that the adhesive is melted away as well however that outlet (the 110) works fine.

my question is; does that appear to be a short and if so could it be the cause of the excel plug having no power? any opinions welcome.

i bought my first TB around thirty years ago so take note any future buyers, the age of T poles is gone and generally there is, at least for me, power everywhere i go. i like the EFI but the fact is i have used TB's in the summer in bullhead city, az and upstate maine in the dead of winter and having to pull a choke was not a problem.

thanks for looking.
    Just a guess, and no expert, I'd say a strong maybe it's involved? No clue however to where the current comes from, when it goes or the path it takes to do so.

I did appreciate your comparative translation. That gas buys a lot of run time hours. I wouldn't have replaced it either for that price.

Looking no further past your pictures of the excel module, it looks like the yellow thing is the big dollar item.

Comment

I think the yellow disk is a surge suppressor. If so and it's a factory part, it cost 3¢ leaving China and minimally 10 bucks departing Appleton.

Undoubtedly given track record, the yellow disk will only be an indicator and another $500- board between it and electrons leaving the alternator will need to be replaced.

We may need to wait to see if John found the blueprint for the Excel box.

Comment

The little yellow disc are Capacitor, Cer Disc .0047 uF 3000 VD. I've always called them noise caps but they may actually be surge caps. I just replaced one of those Excel boards and it's quite the fun process. Lucky for the customer it was under warranty. It's there to supply 120v power at idle. Unlike the old Trailblazers that supplied a 3rd ring to do it this is the new way.

Comment

i am going to pull the blue and replace it with a standard 110 outlet. the miller tech that responded to my questions was very helpful; this is his response to my condition. i am putting it here in the event that there are others out there with this problem.

If the CB5 breaker is not tripping then you need to check for 3 phase AC power into the module on wires 87, 88 and 89. Also check for an open in the stabilizer by doing a resistance check from wire 92 to 93 that go down to the stabilizer, should be less than 1 ohm. If all of that checks out and you still have no 120v output on wire 91 then the excel module would need to be replaced.

there is little to be gained in sale of unit by repairing, or by wasting the time trying to find actual problem. for ten dollars i can do this. per the tech.

If the module is bad and you do not want to replace it you can wire that outlet up to work as a normal 120v outlet. Just wire per a normal Trailblazer on your wiring diagram.

while getting a shot of the SN i noticed some changes from the older TB and the newer though i have not checked to see if these functions have been removed and not relocated.

thanks for the replies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191122_105327.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	605005Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191122_105309.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	605006
          Last edited by lonewelder; 12-02-2019, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X