No announcement yet.

Real drill bits..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've made jigs using drill bushings but I don't see how I could use them to sharpen a drill bit, really, my drill doctor does a great job for me. I simply plug it in and go for it, even brand new hardware store drill bits can be sharpened to cut better.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
      You mean a 7" RA Grinder gently clamped in a pipe vise ain't the way to go any more?
      Sure, it's a little rough on bits under ¼" but it works well above that diameter.
      Thats how i did 1 1/2" to 3" drill bits years ago when i ran one of those radial arm drills in the machine shop
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Look at the mechanism of a drill doctor, it only follows the profile that's on the drill.

Comment

Originally posted by Iethe View Post
          I am going to be picking up a new press and would like to own some good high end bits...Where to pick them up and what names to look for?
          Before you invest in a good set of HSS or Cobalt drills........you should first get a good understanding on Speed, Feed and lubricant for each size and material that your drilling ............cause without that your pretty new drills won't last very long. I have many USA sets of all the different varieties from basic jobber drills, to stub, decimal , numbered and lettered in both HSS and cobalt........and even a full set of long aircraft drills & a silver & deming set also......the list goes on....but here's a tip for you........at Harbor Freight you can buy a 29 piece HSS fractional set for $9.99.........yeah you read that correctly! The last time there I bought 10 sets.........why you ask? so that everyone that wants to drill a hole here minus myself can use , and ya know these cheap throw it away drills when treated as you would your $200 index set hold up pretty well............

Comment

Tarry you fun spoiler, where do you get off expecting people to learn, even if you are buying their time? Also you forgot to mention those HF bits are actually better than the best we could buy 50 years ago.
            Everybody knows it's best to roar into Stainless as fast as you can spin the bit with only minimal pressure on it.
            You sound like the kind of man who expects people to know all drill bits ain't the same.

Comment

Don't despair, you can still get completely worthless drills at HF if you try hard enough, or just get lucky. My lil woman got a couple of sets "hall of shame" drill bits awhile back. The set of Ti coated HSS bits were sharpened all wacky. One flute sharpened to cut the other shaped to polish. Maybe both ground to polish with no cut. Kind of hit and miss. The other set was for wood work with pilot points. The pilot points broke off drilling wood .. Big head hanging fail on those.

Comment

Yep, those HFT drill bit sets are pretty darn nice for the money...I keep buying another when they're on sale, but they just keep getting cheaper!

I've done well with their files, too –– I use them to cut Nicholson files in half!

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                  Look at the mechanism of a drill doctor, it only follows the profile that's on the drill.
                  My dd will grind three profiles. It turns cheap drills into sharp usable bits, I don't throw even cheap dull drills into the trash barrel, I toss them in a three-pound coffee can and when I feel like it, I resharpen them.

Comment

Working...
                  X