Dynasty AC settings - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty AC settings - HELP!

Hello, first post here. Been reading the site off and on for a few years though...
    Anyway I mostly weld 304 polished s/st but have been getting into more and more alum with some of it being up to .375 wall thickness. It’s been mostly 6061-6063 tubing and 5052 sheet stock with fillet welds.
    I have been welding 20 plus hours weekly on Dynasty 280DX for the last 5 years and am mostly self-taught. I just purchased a Dynasty 400 to increase my capabilities but have not set it up yet. I have 3 phase 480 so power is not an issue.

So here are my questions in regards to the AC settings on the 400 -
    The material is 6061 tubing, fillet welds, .250 wall section with the welds often stacked on a vertical wall.

Could someone help me fill in the following blanks where to start to achieve my goal? I have been struggling on get the flow started and avoiding a gobbled up mess on the thicker materials... I have not tried Helium due to its crazy cost. Hopefully the 400 will provide me some relief.

EN Amperage ?
    EP Amperage ?
    Runnings Amps ?
    Balance - I typically run 70-72 on the 280dx
    Frequency - I typically run 120-145 on the 280dx
    Tungsten - grey band 3/32 under 220 amps, 1/8" over 220 amps
    Filler - 4043, 3/32" or 1/8"
    100% Argon @ 15-20 CFH depending on amperage
    Cup size 7-8 with a screen lens
    Last edited by JSKI; 11-22-2019, 08:01 AM.
    Miller Dynasty 400 wireless
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX wireless
    Miller Maxstar 150 STH
    Miller 350P Mig with XMR Gun
    Miller 375 Extreme Plasma
    Accurpess Accell 12' x 175ton

On heavier aluminum if you drop your frequency down to around 50 the material will puddle faster. I don’t know the science behind why, an old hand told me that some time back and it’s worked well for me.

If your filler metal is balling up into a booger, you’re trying to add it too soon or perhaps your arc length is excessive.

For aluminum on an inverter, I prefer the blue (2% lanthanated) or purple (E3) band tungsten.

I also prefer a regular cup (generally a #6) over a gas lense on aluminum unless I need to stick my tungsten out a good ways, then I’ll switch to a gas lense.

Comment

"Could someone help me fill in the following blanks where to start to achieve my goal?"

Tell you what...you commit to posting some before and some after pictures so we can see the effects of all the typing this will require, and rather then suggesting you spend your time watching 14 hours of you tube video's and reading a couple of good books looking for a cure, I'll help you to understand what you need to understand to perform that weld.

But in a nut shell, your fighting thermal conductivity from the heavy aluminum thickness, a bit uncertain of the power source functions and how they apply, possibly not applying them properly, and maybe a bit of issue with your welding technique in doing so?

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...ocesses-set-up

Comment

Originally posted by JSKI View Post
        Hello, first post here. Been reading the site off and on for a few years though...
        Anyway I mostly weld 304 polished s/st but have been getting into more and more alum with some of it being up to .375 wall thickness. It’s been mostly 6061-6063 tubing and 5052 sheet stock with fillet welds.
        I have been welding 20 plus hours weekly on Dynasty 280DX for the last 5 years and am mostly self-taught. I just purchased a Dynasty 400 to increase my capabilities but have not set it up yet. I have 3 phase 480 so power is not an issue.

So here are my questions in regards to the AC settings on the 400 -
        The material is 6061 tubing, fillet welds, .250 wall section with the welds often stacked on a vertical wall.

Could someone help me fill in the following blanks where to start to achieve my goal? I have been struggling on get the flow started and avoiding a gobbled up mess on the thicker materials... I have not tried Helium due to its crazy cost. Hopefully the 400 will provide me some relief.

EN Amperage ?
        EP Amperage ?
        Runnings Amps ?
        Balance - I typically run 70-72 on the 280dx
        Frequency - I typically run 120-145 on the 280dx
        Tungsten - grey band 3/32 under 220 amps, 1/8" over 220 amps
        Filler - 4043, 3/32" or 1/8"
        100% Argon @ 15-20 CFH depending on amperage
        Cup size 7-8 with a screen lens
        EN amperage: leave it alone. No need in advanced settings
        EP amperage leave it alone. No need in advanced settings
        Wave: square
        Pulse: No.
        Running amps: set the machine on 250. You'll back off once you get some heat in the part using a pedal or amptroll.
        Frequency: 60
        tungsten: 1/8 th 2% lanthanated sharpened about 2 times the diameter with a 1/16 blunt.
        Filler 1/8 th 4043
        100% argon at 15 cfh is plenty in a non drafty shop
        Plain Jane #6 cup.

Advanced settings on a advanced machine does not mean make a simple job advanced. Advanced settings are for advanced jobs. You have buttons you want to push but theres no need in pushing them.
        Last edited by sledsports; 11-22-2019, 10:12 PM.
        Dynasty 400 wireless
        Coolmate 3.5
        Sw320 speedway
        Ck flex lock 230
        4 victor flow meters
        2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
        2 genuine miller torch buttons
        A$$ loads of tungsten
        XMT 350 CC/CV
        S74DX feeder
        Stick leads from here to China
        A30 Spool gun
        WC24
        Langmuir crossfire hobby table
        Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
        Harris O/A
        Pet raccoon
        I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

Comment

JSKI
          You spent over 8k on a Dynasty. It was suggested that you run Freq @ 60. With that said, sell the Dynasty and buy a 40 year old Syncrowave and put the $6500 back in your pocket.
          Pictures would help resolve some of the issues as well as referring to the nifty laminated cheat sheet that came with machine.
          Press and hold the amperage key and simultaneously press the gas dig key and release both.
          Scroll thru the menu by pressing only the gas/dig...
          EN, EP, BAL, FREQ and BAL
          Referring back to the sticky thread at the beginning of this forum will explain what all these settings do.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
            JSKI
            You spent over 8k on a Dynasty. It was suggested that you run Freq @ 60. With that said, sell the Dynasty and buy a 40 year old Syncrowave and put the $6500 back in your pocket.
            Pictures would help resolve some of the issues as well as referring to the nifty laminated cheat sheet that came with machine.
            Press and hold the amperage key and simultaneously press the gas dig key and release both.
            Scroll thru the menu by pressing only the gas/dig...
            EN, EP, BAL, FREQ and BAL
            Referring back to the sticky thread at the beginning of this forum will explain what all these settings do.
            No where in my comment did I mention or suggest he sell his dynasty and buy a syncrowave. He asked for settings that will give him results. I gave him settings that will yield results. I own a Dynasty 400 personally and I know without a doubt because of personal experience all of the adjustments can be a little overwhelming especially when you do not know the effects of each adjustment does... Just like the 60 Hertz comment... go ahead and crank that freq up and see what happens on heavier materials... you have to run the machine harder. It fights against itself. Proven fact lower frequency puts heat into the part. There is nothing wrong with wanting to know what each thing does, getting it all to play well with each other=1000s of hours of bench practice playing with it. Hes on a job looking for results. I gave them to him. I will agree on posting pictures. Pictures speak volumes about what is going on.
            Last edited by sledsports; 11-23-2019, 10:52 AM.
            Dynasty 400 wireless
            Coolmate 3.5
            Sw320 speedway
            Ck flex lock 230
            4 victor flow meters
            2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
            2 genuine miller torch buttons
            A$$ loads of tungsten
            XMT 350 CC/CV
            S74DX feeder
            Stick leads from here to China
            A30 Spool gun
            WC24
            Langmuir crossfire hobby table
            Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
            Harris O/A
            Pet raccoon
            I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

Comment

You ever try turning it down to 50hz? Doesn’t sound like much, but it absolutely makes a difference. My only inverter tig will only go as low as 50, I’m not sure if that’s normal or if the dynasty goes lower. Sometimes I float some helium into my gas flow, but generally, especially for shorter welds, I just turn the HZ down and floor it.

I prefer to be around 100-120hz, mostly because the buzz doesn’t make me want to stab someone in the eyeball, but also most of my aluminum work is much thinner than what this guy is doing and I like to focus the arc a bit tighter.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                You ever try turning it down to 50hz?
                I use a 700 at work, been playing with the AC settings recently, it will go down to 20, sounds funny as it struggles to maintain a consistent arc

Richard
                West coast of Florida

Comment

Thanks for the all of the replies. I have played some with the lower freq. around 100 but not any lower. I have always tried to keep it a little higher to try to force the arc/heat into the inside corners, get better penetration and keep the arc from jumping around as much. I have never used 2% Lanthanated tungsten but I will get some and try it.
                  I have been too busy to get the 400 hooked up and running to do any playing around with it.
                  Once I do I will gladly post some pictures of my results and issues as they come up. I have read alot of online material and watched so many videos that my wife thinks I am nuts. She changes her mind once my customers send me $ though!
                  Miller Dynasty 400 wireless
                  Miller Dynasty 280 DX wireless
                  Miller Maxstar 150 STH
                  Miller 350P Mig with XMR Gun
                  Miller 375 Extreme Plasma
                  Accurpess Accell 12' x 175ton

Comment

Working...
                  X