Old Semi Trailer Landing Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Semi Trailer Landing Wheels

​ After I bought my mill, I needed to build a low stand for it, so I went to the weld shop where I go to buy steel and gas, he has a small junk pile I go through when I'm there just to check if something new came in I might be able to use.

Whilst going through the pile of steel I noticed this pair of steel trailer wheels which were perfect for the heavy mills stand I was building, so I went to pay for them and my friend gave them to me, when I got them home I bushed them and made the other side adjustable.
    Last edited by tackit; 11-16-2019, 09:30 AM.

Nice
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	aw 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	604598Click image for larger version

Name:	aw  2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	604599Click image for larger version

Name:	aw 3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	604600
      Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
      Nice
      Thanks Bob. I've tried to find more wheels like those but can't find them around here.
      Last edited by tackit; 11-16-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Probably can't find them because most ccarriers got fed up with paying tow companies to lift the trailer out of the ground or parking lot it sank into. They don't seem available from part suppliers.

Just slice up some 8" pipe, put a hub in the middle and some spokes, or use lawn tractor wheels from a scrap pile at the mower shop and replace the junk tire with some 10 ga steel wound around the wheel and tacked to the rim. You want to go exotic you can even glue and screw used tire tread onto the steel tire after you weld a band around it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39542.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	604606Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39538.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	604602Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39540.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	604604Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39541.jpg
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	604605Click image for larger version

Name:	F 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	604607
          Originally posted by Franz© View Post
          Probably can't find them because most ccarriers got fed up with paying tow companies to lift the trailer out of the ground or parking lot it sank into. They don't seem available from part suppliers.

Just slice up some 8" pipe, put a hub in the middle and some spokes, or use lawn tractor wheels from a scrap pile at the mower shop and replace the junk tire with some 10 ga steel wound around the wheel and tacked to the rim. You want to go exotic you can even glue and screw used tire tread onto the steel tire after you weld a band around it.
          Franz, your lucky that you live in an old Industrialized area where surplus metal and old items and parts are plentiful, around here surplus anything is as scarce as hen's teeth. I have a China ring-roller, it does a decent job, the rings pictured are 2" X 1/4"
          Attached Files
          Last edited by tackit; 11-16-2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

We got less & less here every week Tack. Between auctioneers, scrappers and envirofreaks it's getting tough. Gotta think outside of the box and remember to say "repurposing" in the answer to every busybody or you get citations.

Fortunately I got officially classified as a FARM 25 years back on my home place, so I just send a form letter back to the Town enviro Gestapo every time I get a nastigram. Farms are specifically EXEMPT from all the Look Suburban rules. Costs the taxpayers money to cite me, it's a few keystrokes for me to respond.

I get Cited for not mowing my lawn, I respond pointing out I'm EXEMPT. Then I call and complain about the Town not mowing the Forever Wild land they own on 2 sides of my place. I even request a Case Number so they gotta process it.

Ya know old cylinders that fail testing would slice up into good wheels. Fire extinguishers too. Your cost of rolling your own tires too high, you gotta find something to use and make up a bunch of wheels.

Comment

We got less & less here every week Tack. Between auctioneers, scrappers and envirofreaks it's getting tough. Gotta think outside of the box and remember to say "repurposing" in the answer to every busybody or you get citations.

Fortunately I got officially classified as a FARM 25 years back on my home place, so I just send a form letter back to the Town enviro Gestapo every time I get a nastigram. Farms are specifically EXEMPT from all the Look Suburban rules. Costs the taxpayers money to cite me, it's a few keystrokes for me to respond.

I get Cited for not mowing my lawn, I respond pointing out I'm EXEMPT. Then I call and complain about the Town not mowing the Forever Wild land they own on 2 sides of my place. I even request a Case Number so they gotta process it.

Ya know old cylinders that fail testing would slice up into good wheels. Fire extinguishers too. Your cost of rolling your own tires too high, you gotta find something to use and make up a bunch of wheels.
              China's Olympics wiped out the farmers' junk piles I had permission to rummage through, it's all gone now. I heard even finding parts for old machines and machinery has gotten harder because like you say, they were scrapped out.

I had given thought to use laminated white oak boards from pallets to make 3" wide rounds, bore out the center of a 1 1/4" threaded bolt for a 3/4:" axle to fit through, epoxying the bolts in the oak rounds and make large diameter washers to go on each side of the wheel, put the nut on the outside. Then bend a 1/16 X 1 1/2" wide flat stock around the treads_ for machine carts use on flat concrete floors they would a last long time. I hate soft-rubber-tired wheels in the shop,
              Last edited by tackit; 11-16-2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Junkies ruined things here for curb shopping. One enterprising doper even scrapped the handrails that surrounded the County Courthouse since 1900 for dope money. Lot of lamentation from guys I knew when they learned that brass they coveted for their home bar was only held in place by gravity.

Your laminated wood design will work well, best if you have 3 layers according to the cabinet maker who built the interior of my coach from 1/8 slats for chicken crates. That really looked nice because he chamfered the edges on the outer layer.

I'd go to a center bearing of oilite brass cheap enough, although just the oak will give you good bearing life on carts that don't get all that many miles a week. Laminated newspaper worked well as a noise abater when it was used to core passenger car wheels.

Just be aware layups of that nature work best done in a press, fortunately you own a press, and believe me Gorilla Glue is about the best you'll find for the job. Just make sure the wood is damp when you do the glueup.

Might also be worth looking into phenolic. Last I knew there is ONE Phenolic wheel manufacturer in the US, and they're good people to deal with. 5" wheels 2" wide with roller bearings only cost a few bucks each and they provide excellent service on my mower decks.

Comment

Junkies ruined things here for curb shopping. One enterprising doper even scrapped the handrails that surrounded the County Courthouse since 1900 for dope money. Lot of lamentation from guys I knew when they learned that brass they coveted for their home bar was only held in place by gravity.

Your laminated wood design will work well, best if you have 3 layers according to the cabinet maker who built the interior of my coach from 1/8 slats for chicken crates. That really looked nice because he chamfered the edges on the outer layer.

I'd go to a center bearing of oilite brass cheap enough, although just the oak will give you good bearing life on carts that don't get all that many miles a week. Laminated newspaper worked well as a noise abater when it was used to core passenger car wheels.

Just be aware layups of that nature work best done in a press, fortunately you own a press, and believe me Gorilla Glue is about the best you'll find for the job. Just make sure the wood is damp when you do the glueup.

Might also be worth looking into phenolic. Last I knew there is ONE Phenolic wheel manufacturer in the US, and they're good people to deal with. 5" wheels 2" wide with roller bearings only cost a few bucks each and they provide excellent service on my mower decks.
                  Goodest information like always, thank you, Franz. .

Comment

Probably ought to mention also, when you put a stack of wood laminations in the press Tack, have the center hole bored or at least bored to accomodate a convenient rod you can drop thru the stack. It beats picking them all up around the shop when something goes south in the stack.

Double layer of wax paper keeps the blanks well seperated for clamping too.

Down & dirty jig on the bandsaw will cut the outer diameter with minimal screwing around too. Gorilla glue will hold your steel tires unless you want to go all out and heat shrink them on. If you go that route watch Engels Coach videos on mounting tires, but a small wheel will require less temperature than a borax wagon wheel.

Comment

Probably ought to mention also, when you put a stack of wood laminations in the press Tack, have the center hole bored or at least bored to accomodate a convenient rod you can drop thru the stack. It beats picking them all up around the shop when something goes south in the stack.

Double layer of wax paper keeps the blanks well seperated for clamping too.

Down & dirty jig on the bandsaw will cut the outer diameter with minimal screwing around too. Gorilla glue will hold your steel tires unless you want to go all out and heat shrink them on. If you go that route watch Engels Coach videos on mounting tires, but a small wheel will require less temperature than a borax wagon wheel.
                      Franz, I don't understand putting wax paper between the blanks, wouldn't that prevent the wood from laminating? I was going to run a slot across the tread an bend the ends of the flat stock to go into the slots, and countersink the flat-stock for a deck screw on each side of the slot.

Comment

top board
                        Glue
                        Middle board
                        Glue
                        Bottom board
                        Wax paper 2 layers thick
                        top board
                        Glue
                        Middle board
                        Glue
                        Bottom board
                        Wax paper 2 layers thick
                        top board
                        Glue
                        Middle board
                        Glue
                        Bottom board
                        Wax paper 2 layers thick

Stack em and jack em Tack.
                        Glue, not cement, I presume you know the difference.

Pallet wood you pretty much need to drill before screwing unless you want to split it.
                        I got a box of self tapping machine screws 6-32 that love jobs like the lamination. Big MF box. Got another box of self tapping ss screws for GE mixmasters that work nice too.

Thinking to the tires, you know any Commercial Electricians like Mac's wife who might be able to send you some cutoffs of 4" EMT for tires? That would save a bunch of rolling. I figure 50,000 shop crossings before a retread is needed.

Comment

top board
                          Glue
                          Middle board
                          Glue
                          Bottom board
                          Wax paper 2 layers thick
                          top board
                          Glue
                          Middle board
                          Glue
                          Bottom board
                          Wax paper 2 layers thick
                          top board
                          Glue
                          Middle board
                          Glue
                          Bottom board
                          Wax paper 2 layers thick

Stack em and jack em Tack.
                          Glue, not cement, I presume you know the difference.

Pallet wood you pretty much need to drill before screwing unless you want to split it.
                          I got a box of self tapping machine screws 6-32 that love jobs like the lamination. Big MF box. Got another box of self tapping ss screws for GE mixmasters that work nice too.

Thinking to the tires, you know any Commercial Electricians like Mac's wife who might be able to send you some cutoffs of 4" EMT for tires? That would save a bunch of rolling. I figure 50,000 shop crossings before a retread is needed.
                          I don't know anyone that would have that size EMT.

Comment

Working...
                          X