MillerMatic 211

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MillerMatic 211

Anyone out there have any experience with getting a MillerMatic 211 repaired, cost wise? There is one at a auction and I'm wondering if it is a dud what it might cost to fix.

That is a very broad question. Of course it depends on what’s wrong with it. Maybe nothing.

Comment

I have the transformer version of the MM211. A couple of years ago, mice made a nest in it and urinated on the main board. It cost me $300 for the board, and $75 for labor at my LWS. I thought that was pretty reasonable compared to buying a new welder.

Comment

Thanks Stang, I stopped watching it at $350 and it went for $570. Way too much for a roll of the dice.

Comment

It's a gamble if you're looking for a working welder, or a great opportunity if you're looking to learn about electronics. I paid $100 for one, $35 for a tech manual, and fixed the board with about $30 in components. But once I added a whip, regulator, roller and guides, I would have been up to about $400 and ~10 hours in troubleshooting (retraced the input circuit on the board - but that's schematic is on here) if I didn't already have that stuff on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Stang View Post
            I have the transformer version of the MM211. A couple of years ago, mice made a nest in it and urinated on the main board. It cost me $300 for the board, and $75 for labor at my LWS. I thought that was pretty reasonable compared to buying a new welder.
            Can you explain how a mouse got into the machine, was the torch not connected to the machine? thanks

Comment

My cat Liz B Underfoot, Purrfessional mouse manager assures me a mouse can and will get thru a ¼" hole.

I take her meow for it.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post

Can you explain how a mouse got into the machine, was the torch not connected to the machine? thanks
                I had a mouse nest in my MM185 while it was in storage and the gun was on it
                Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post

It's amazing how small a hole a mouse can get through. If I hadn't seen it myself, I never would've believed it.

Comment

Very interesting, I hope Millers designers see this thread and get on the ball and make their machines rodent/fireproof.

Comment

On the matter of meeses and their large families, if you can park your welder near a newer car like a Hyundai or VW the meese will leave the machine alone and set up camp in the car.

As part of the Earth Friendly bullcrap and minimizing non recyclables many car makers have transitioned their wiring looms to soy based insulation which meese consider a prime food source. Replacing a mouse chewed wiring harness is NOT a Warranty item, and the replacement $1300 harness will be soy insulated as well. If you get real lucky the mouse will chew wires in correct sequence and light the car afire. That may get the Insurance carrier to buy you another car.

Parking the new car in your attached garage may not be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X