Your favoritr tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favoritr tool

Had the friends over for dinner and afterwards tossed out the question - "What is your favorite tool"?

This started a bit of an interesting discussion which I did not anticipate.

My accountant friend's wife replied :"That' like asking which of your kids is your favorite"?

Yikes - so to keep the peace in the "family", I revised my question.

Forgot to mention in my previous posts that my accountant friend's wife
    works in a company which manufactures parts for several aerospace companies.
    She programs and runs Haas CNC machines at work as well as manual lathes and milling machines.
    I looked at the G code she creates for the CNC machines and it looks like Greek to me.

We decided my initial question was not specific enough.

So after several more drinks and much discussion, we came up with this list.............

Categories were

1 - Electric
    2 - Manual

Sub -categories were -
    A - under $25
    B - $26 to $50
    c - $51 to $100
    D - $101 to $500
    E - $501 and above

Never bring up these questions with an accountant and a senior machinist when alcohol is involved..................

So my poor "peace offering" to start the list was in category 1 B

My Harbor Freight 1" x 30" electric belt sander.

I told them that I use it for de-burring and polishing metal and also for sharpening my TIG tungsten.
    For $35 (it is now more) it was a good buy.
    Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Yes Burnt, there's a never ending multitude of answers here, In the 200 dollar range, I'll put in my Porter Cable portaband, that I bought new 20 years ago. I have a metal cutting chopsaw and a HF horizontal bandsaw, but I find it's just easier to go for the portaband. And I have the HF 1x30 belt sander as well. Favorite tools are like potato chips. Ya can't just have one.

Comment

I’ll play. I figured it would be easy, ha! Not at all.

I think my favorite tool is a hammer my uncle gave me probably 30 years ago when he was building his house and I was his helper. It’s a framing hammer, but I use it for whatever beating I need to do. Whompin’, pryin’, destroyin’, whatever. I love that freakin hammer.

So I guess I’m a 1A.

Comment

Sounds to me that that could be the best form of entertainment anyone interested in any of the skilled trades could ask for.
        well put.

Comment

2 A. My NAPA mechanics awl, I use it to make all my layout/cut lines and starter center punch tool for drilling holes.

1 E. My MM251 and Ellis bandsaw.
          Last edited by tackit; 11-12-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Favorite as in most used; LED flashlight with Lithium battery and eyeglasses.
            Next in line, extending magnetic pickup tool.
            Perhaps I should include the gimp stick too, been with me and generally in use for 40+ years now. Lets me rattle a lot and still make it up and down the stairs.

Favorite because I won a 15 year contest to get one, Generator synchronizer I learned to use in 1953 and wished I had available for 2 years a decade later. The loosing contestant is still searching.

Favorite because I was lucky enough to spot it on a pile of "junk" being hauled out of an engine room and rescue it, a Taylor Mercury column vacuum gauge. Took me another 35 years to find a replacement mercury bottle.
            Another lucky find; 1890 King Iron Bridge nameplate I tripped on in a back yard and spent an hour washing out of the dirt. It's about 4 feet across and weighs a couple hundred pounds.

Favorite cause it's my latest; Hays portable smoke stack analyzer.

The tools I work with are sadly becoming less favored as time passes and Art Ritus visits my hands. Such is the nature of aging.

Comment

I turned 44 yesterday, so it was probably closer to 35 years ago when he gave me that hammer I suppose. I’ve used it so much that the checkering on the hammer face is wore plumb smooth.

I’m trying to pick a favorite power tool, but I like my hand tools so much I can’t make the relation. I’m the guy that’ll pick the 1/2” ratchet over the impact any day.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                I turned 44 yesterday, so it was probably closer to 35 years ago when he gave me that hammer I suppose. I’ve used it so much that the checkering on the hammer face is wore plumb smooth.

I’m trying to pick a favorite power tool, but I like my hand tools so much I can’t make the relation. I’m the guy that’ll pick the 1/2” ratchet over the impact any day.
                Try SWENCH, more delivered work with far less effort.

Comment

BFH ... with enough blood, sweat and tears, it'll fix dam near ANYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post

Try SWENCH, more delivered work with far less effort.
                    Cool tool Franz, never heard of them before. Too old to spend the money on one though. Have you ever run across any used sets in your many interesting travels that were for sale? https://www.powerhawk.com/swench

Comment

Used Swenchs appear regularly on epay, at somewhat reasonable prices for a man with use for the tool. There seems to be a seller on there with a fairly large inventory he is marketing at a controlled rate to maintain price point.

The small ½" size I've carried for years I question the need of Swench sockets and extensions for, always just wrapped a rag or 2 around the socket and or extension in case it shattered. 3/4 and 1" will put a hurt on tooling fast and do require the tubular extensions and genuine sockets.

It's one of those tools you really need every so often, and it makes money on those days. Most days it just rides in the truck. When swench comes to work it is interesting to watch the reaction of people who haven't seen one. Last time mine came to work a young fellow was in full rage because he'd failed to get wheel nuts off a trailer with both the beloved Chinkwaukee and SnapOn air impact. He'd even resorted to spraying with the works in 3 seconds penetrant oil. Swench + extension across a wood block took 3 hits and the nuts were moving. That day it was worth owning. Even spent a minute explaining using a couple inches of mechanic wire thru the retaining holes in the extension bar.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	010.JPG Views:	21 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	604544Click image for larger version  Name:	013.JPG Views:	21 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	604545Click image for larger version  Name:	012.jpg Views:	21 Size:	854.2 KB ID:	604546 My new favorite tool i have had for 2 years and never used it. Then came time to put in a dishwasher in an old house that never had one. This multi tool saved my butt and did a nice job.

My 2nd fav tool i designed to thread close pipe nipples and pipe under 7" long using this type of block threading dies. My Reed/Craftsman block dies use a guide that rides on the pipe to keep the threading straight. The only prob is the length of pipe needed to thread by the time you get in the vise, thru the guide and thru the die you are about 7". This setup uses a pipe for the vise with a lathe turned coupler aka pipe guide for the threader. The little bushings go inside the guide couplings to keep the nipple you are threading from getting too tight in the coupler. And i love hand threading pipe...Bob Click image for larger version  Name:	dw1.jpg Views:	22 Size:	792.2 KB ID:	604542Click image for larger version  Name:	dw4.jpg Views:	20 Size:	978.5 KB ID:	604543
                        Last edited by aametalmaster; 11-14-2019, 03:43 PM.
                        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

And i did sew up a blade bag from nylon for my oscillating Click image for larger version

Name:	bag.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	604554 tool...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Working...
                          X