X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PUMPKINHEAD
    Sundown,
    What happened to your MX150?
    Its all been posted here and on the Hobart site. But to make a long sorry short, it had the blinking blue light while tacking in SMAW mode problem that a few of the 2004 Maxstars had. It was repaired by replacing the PC Board in short order. It's basicly a new machine now, thanks to the outstanding Miller company service and the tig service guys.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

My 2 cents

I thought I would jump in as I used to be the owner / manager of a ComputerLand many years ago (Yes I used to sell the original IBM PC with 64KB of memory). I think dealers nowadays often react badly to a Internet sale, rather then to open their eyes and see an opportunity.

When we sold a computer, we went to your house, installed it, installed any software that you purchased, and even did a 2 hour training session. No we were not the cheapest (by far), but we constantly outsold the competition. If a customer was only interested in price, we told them we were not the best solution. We did this in a friendly, courteous manner and let them know their best interest was what we had in mind. Usually this sparked their curiosity and gave us an opportunity to explain the "Extras" you got from purchasing from us. 7 out of 10 time, it also meant a sale. The 3 we lost was probably for the best. When a customer bought from brand X, either a competitor, Wal-Mart, or the Internet, we would still service it. Usually these customers were so frustrated trying to deal with the place they bought it from, we were their last hope. When we took care of them, we had a customer for life, their next PC was from us.

Customer service is the only thing one business has to offer over another business. You can't do this by threatening not to take care of them. Of course, people who buy from you come first. There is nothing wrong with telling a customer that. If a person feels comfortable in your store, they will return.

Anyone following my posts know I am a novice in welding. As much as I want to be an expert, it will be many years before I pay my dues. I ask dumb questions, I burn through a lot of metal, and I wish my welds look like some posted here. Although I still purchase equipment, supplies, and expect the be treated fairly. I did try to purchase locally and the dealer bluntly told me that he did not want to sell me the engine drive he had in stock because someday he wanted to buy it. I purchased from a dealer a couple hundred miles away (I drove there), not just for price, but because they had the time to ask what I was doing and what I knew. They were able to come down to my level and show me what was best for me. On top of that, they had fair prices and serviced equipment in their shop. I will be going back to that place, as I enjoyed being there. When I am there I am sure I will need a new pair of gloves, wire, and the really cool tool they just got in. These may be higher than somewhere else, but I wouldn't consider buying them elsewhere.

As a bonus to them, we are planning to purchase a plasma cutter and TB302 before the price increase. I won't shop around, they did me right the first time. I just wish the dealers would understand that they may have to come down on prices, but not always meet them. Restaurants have been feeding people for years, and the ones with good service seem to survive.

PS - I got out of computer sales, not because of competition, just got tired of running my own store.

Sorry for the long post -- Kelly
      Thanks -- Kelly

Trailblazer 302
      Millermatic 251
      Millermatic Passport
      Syncrowave 180SD

Red 120V Mig
      HT600 Plasma Cutter
      Victor Journeyman O/A
      Loving Wife

Comment

FYI - B&R Welder Prices

Talked to Bob of B&R today and he said that the new prices go into effect as of JULY 8th NOT June 8th as stated on his web site. This was an error and asked me let all of you know. This has been corrected as of this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by classj
          Does anyone know what the percentage price increase will be on the dynasty 200dx?

On BR's website they claim all orders must be in by june 8th for current pricing but I think that must be a typo because cyberweld and others show it as July 8th.

I am still not sure whether I am going with the TA185 or the dynasty but I want to decide this week so that if I am going with the miller I can avoid the price increase if possible.
          Does anyone know

1) how many price increases Miller has had in the last two years

2) and how much they have added up to be overall?

I thought PLS was supposed to lower the cost to the customer?

TMT

Comment

TMT,

With the cost of metal being what it is, maybe PLS kept the increase from being 12%. Just decide if you like the product and the price, either buy it or not. Dang you must have a miserable life if all you can do is wait far a chance to *****.
            Bob Sigmon
            A/O Setup with Meco Midget
            Miller Big Window Elite
            Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

I understand the whole local buisiness issue as my family owned one for over 25 years and still do mail order. My main issue is the additude some of them have. If a machine breaks, whether I got it in NJ or CA the service center is going to be paid by miller to fix the machine (which I am sure includes some profit there). If a dealer does not service there own stuff and has to do extra legwork on a machine that he did not sell and not be compensated. Thats bad I can understand. But the dealer that gave me the most flack is a service center that services his own stuff on site. I would never be mad at a dealer for not matching an internet price.

But, if it were my store I would have given the customer a reasonable price, and told him what I have to offer over the internet guys. BUT, I would have still said to the customer that I would be more than happy to sell you consumables and service the machine if need be. Just like car dealers, sales, parts, and service are three separate departments and products.

Comment

my local dealer is aware i got bolth my plasma and MIG on line . he is also aware of my $$$ situation and offerd me a beter deal on the dyn than the sticker , still not Net price and taX would be added. he told me it was the best he could do and told me to let him know when i get it and he will be happy to get me anything i need to get it up and going. he also said if i do decide to get it from him he will be happy to work with me after houres to teach me and help me lern to use it to its fullest.

short storry he offerd extra service if i bought from him but couldnt match the price. he also asured me he would still be there for all my welding needs if i go with a net purchas. thats about as good as it gets ,sorry you didnt get the same service
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sigmon
                  TMT,

With the cost of metal being what it is, maybe PLS kept the increase from being 12%. Just decide if you like the product and the price, either buy it or not. Dang you must have a miserable life if all you can do is wait far a chance to *****.

Bob,

All I did was ask two simple questions of which I have yet to get an answer for.

I am shopping for mpre new welders and the rate of price increases and their sizes bears on that decision as to who will receive the contract this quarter.

I hope you have a good day...take care.

TMT

Comment

Why would their past price increase have any bearing on your decision now?
                    MM210 w/3035
                    Next up - Sync 200

Comment

TMT,

Instead of asking questions on a motorsports welding forum, why don't you call Miller corporate sales?

'Cause if you ask me, even with a price increase I think that the Miller products are a bargain, work great and look really great in my shop! But I'm just a hobby welder, so what do I know!
                      Bob Sigmon
                      A/O Setup with Meco Midget
                      Miller Big Window Elite
                      Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

Price increases are a way of life everyone has them wether its a blue,red yellow or purple machine they all go up at least once a year What ever goes down in price?????

Comment

Computers & Cell Phones + Digital Cameras to name a few
                          Harold
                          Harold
                          Craftsman Colormatic AC
                          Victor Journyman Setup
                          Syncrowave 180 SD
                          MM210 With Spoolgun
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
                          Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

Jus' thoughts

price increases... A way of life, yes. That's why I am trying to update all of my larger toys now... before I formally retire. Look at home & property values... ouch! A year & a half ago, we just built a new home. The mortgage payments w/escrow are $800/month. Years ago, I could have bought an entire farm with that... But today on the East or West coast, that same payment would be a huge bargin... Years from now, that'll seem cheap to us. $ is a state-of-mind. If we buy somethig nice, like BLUE - later on, what we paid won't be an issue. Change is unavoidable so, we may as well embrace it...
                            Russ
                            MM175, 300/200 Thunderbolt,
                            M125c baby plasma,
                            BWE (red flames),
                            Victor Super-Range O2/Fuel,
                            and lots-of-junk slowly being replaced.

Comment

Question for Bob Sigmon

Like your auto.
                              Do you shoot IPSC?
                              I used to shoot tactical with the locals and a few state boys.
                              Jus'curious!
                              ;-)
                              Russ
                              MM175, 300/200 Thunderbolt,
                              M125c baby plasma,
                              BWE (red flames),
                              Victor Super-Range O2/Fuel,
                              and lots-of-junk slowly being replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sigmon
                                TMT,

Instead of asking questions on a motorsports welding forum, why don't you call Miller corporate sales?

'Cause if you ask me, even with a price increase I think that the Miller products are a bargain, work great and look really great in my shop! But I'm just a hobby welder, so what do I know!
                                We have...and they seem to have "lost" that information.

That's okay...we can get it from other sources.

Notice no one has answered the questions yet.

TMT

Comment

Working...
                                X