Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 151086 (RCC14) and related 282113 (circuit card assy) issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 151086 (RCC14) and related 282113 (circuit card assy) issues.

Hello all, Wondering if anyone else has had issues with the new torch control (RCC14)? I have had a rash of switch failures and decided to take the old style control off my 250DX (that control is 8 years old with the gray cord) and it's been running perfect. I had two assy's and 2 switches all go bad in a matter of 6 weeks and when I contacted Boon Xiong (Certified Service Technician, TIG System Solutions) she politely said too bad. I have been using the assy's for 20 years and have had to replace one every year or two (I run 4 machines myself) but this rash of failures tells me it's a defective run. I have spent over a 100k with Miller and to be told that "warranty is 90 days" really makes me wonder. To be polite I'm rather ticked off about it because I take extremely good care of all my equipment and when I experience failures like this and no help is incredibly frustrating. Anyone have a similar issue?

what state are you in (and not your state of frustration) cause if I had 100k to spend....

Comment

around here there's one guy for half the state that helps resolve issues like that

Comment

I have spent over a 100k with Miller and to be told that "warranty is 90 days" really makes me wonder.
        I find myself puzzling over whether it's better to buy American anymore too. If you're going to charge a premium but give China level quality, I might as well buy Chinese directly for 1/3rd the cost.

I wonder how hard it would be to repair these units?

Comment

WI. I would like to know who I can contact. The main problem is the Circuit Card Assy, RCC (282113) I'm guessing the part has been changed (made in China?) as was the part number over the last couple years. For years I use these controls with no issues and as time went on the problems with those circuit cards became worse. My frustration is so many failures in a short period of time and the fact that Boon said 90 day warranty from purchase which means it's self defeating to stock spare parts. The cost of them rose quite a bit over a short time too, from $72.00 to $110.00. So, in 6 weeks I have to eat 900.00 worth of failed electronics and I don't believe that's fair. If I could find the switched Potentiometer I would repair it myself but trying to locate that is futile. That part can't cost more than 5 or 10 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by ProStreet57 View Post
            WI. The cost of them rose quite a bit over a short time too, from $72.00 to $110.00. So, in 6 weeks I have to eat 900.00 worth of failed electronics and I don't believe that's fair. If I could find the switched Potentiometer I would repair it myself but trying to locate that is futile. That part can't cost more than 5 or 10 bucks.
            If life was "fair" bras wouldn't need to come in different sizes.

Comment

Wow, $140. There can't be more than $15 in parts in that thing.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	api1bz7dr__83969.1543530339.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.6 KB ID:	604221

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XVMG5G1/

I've been pretty happy with this. I will say construction quality is lacking. It's doesn't use a dial. It's pressure controlled with 4 different positions. I'm sure they make one for miller. It's just a different effective resistance

This one looks sort of interesting. No cheap. The pistol grip can be disconnected so, it lays flat on the torch

Click image for larger version

Name:	CK-SGACV_Steady-Grip-Remote3_LRG.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	604222
              Last edited by MasterKwan; 11-07-2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Doesn't ssc controls make a four position finger control?

Comment

Originally posted by ProStreet57 View Post
                  WI. I would like to know who I can contact. The main problem is the Circuit Card Assy, RCC (282113) I'm guessing the part has been changed (made in China?) as was the part number over the last couple years. For years I use these controls with no issues and as time went on the problems with those circuit cards became worse. My frustration is so many failures in a short period of time and the fact that Boon said 90 day warranty from purchase which means it's self defeating to stock spare parts. The cost of them rose quite a bit over a short time too, from $72.00 to $110.00. So, in 6 weeks I have to eat 900.00 worth of failed electronics and I don't believe that's fair. If I could find the switched Potentiometer I would repair it myself but trying to locate that is futile. That part can't cost more than 5 or 10 bucks.
                  Have you looked at Mouser and Digikey for the potentiometer ? Any numbers on it?

---Meltedmetal
                  ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by jjohn76 View Post
                    Doesn't ssc controls make a four position finger control?
                    That's the one in my Amazon link. It works fine for me but it's far from industrial quality.

Comment

Here is something interesting, from one of the new control assy's it looks like the Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot952019-11-08-15-50-36.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	604323Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot952019-11-08-15-50-36.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	604324 was replace or repaired. I guess I'll check it with my meter and see is there's a bad connection. That still wouldn't explain so many of them going bad.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm not clear what failed. Is it not changing the power or not starting the arc? If it's a bad batch of pots, that might explain it. Maybe the outsourced it to an even cheaper supplier?

Comment

The "switching" part works, it turns on the gas flow and high freq but will not go above 5 amp output so the issue would be in the potentiometer . One of them was just the opposite.

Comment

Working...
                          X